What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Pings Outside Getting Some Color

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture162.jpg

Picture163.jpg

Your pings are quite nice! I'm jealous of your expansive variety of plants. :)

I can always start you off with some leaf sprouts.

Nice pings as always :)

Very nice collection. I killed my very first ping, and swore I would never grow one again. However, I have grown fairly fond of them. They are somewhat addicting, and you can grow quite a few in a small space.

How difficult is that Pinguicula gypsicola? I'm thinking about getting one.

Last edited by a moderator:
for me its been easy. but it hasnt gone through winter yet for me. but i dont think that should be hard either.

Jim: ok. second picture. far right row. second from the top. what is that. it looks dead like one of mine and i cant find the name tag for it! and you use the same pots as me! go 2.5's from Andy! =] haha

Alex

I've always wanted a ping, but I'm afraid that I'd kill it, with the really weird weather we get here in R.I. (dry as a bone one day, humid like all hell the next). Your pings have a really nice color to them, especially the one right above the bottom right ping.

The one conatiner has been outside, under a chair for about a month. The smaller container only a week. Even under a chair, so they don't burn, they get enough dappled / indirect sunlight to turn them pink. I hesitate to have them fully exposed because a good rain will likely scatter and rot them, as happened once before.

i suck at growing Mexican Pings...i've decided. Give me any Ping from the US or hahah Lowes and I can turn it into a weed.

But the mexican pings I always get either....brown from the edges until the entire plant dies, or drop leaves until only a tiny center nubbin is left. If i water them, they rot. If I don't, they go dormant...and i wait for almost a year for them to wake up. Go fig.

Even my P. 'Titan' is more like (P. 'Tiny') compared to when how it looked when it first arrived.

Man, you have the exact opposite experience as do most of us. I can't grow the N.A. types, except for P. primuliflora.

Jim,

What soil mix do you use for your Mexican Pings? Their looking great!

What hybrid is that in the second photo, top left corner?

Vic: That was a mix of Perlite, eggshells, and crushed coral, on top of a little LFS.

Warren: That is P. moctezumae x [Köhres].

That setup did very well when I had it outside under a couple of chairs. I decided to chance them exposed and that's when they almost all died out. I don't know if it was too much rain or drying out or nematodes. Outside living just doesn't work for them for me. Hence needing to replace many of them. Eventually I will request more replacements as a trade or postage.

Back