What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use carnivorous leaves for propagation?

Can I use carnivorous leaves for propagation?

I read that they will only work for non carnivorous, but I would like to make some back up plants.
Thanks for the help,
Alec

Edit: Oh, I had no idea this was in the Ping section, sorry. But yes, I've heard it's best with the non-carnivorous leaves.

Yes... But they won't work as well. In my experience, the succulent, non-carnivorous leaves don't rot as easy as the carnivorous ones.

should I wait till spring to get non-carn leaves or do it right now and trade a higher success rate for having more that one plant growing

yes! thank you cindy

I tried c.l. on different types of Mexican Ping with good success rate, not too wet soil with little high air humidity in cool temperature seems increase the success rate

norns, what do you mean by,"little high air humidity?" does this mean like medium, or what?

I took a bunch of leaves a few days ago. Some are on slightly damp LFS, some are one the pots with the mother plant, and some are just sitting in a container with no media- all in a high humidity tank. I didn't use root hormone because of something I read at the ICPS website.
What do you guys think?

You don't need rooting hormone. You should get sprouts in a few weeks.

norns, what do you mean by,"little high air humidity?" does this mean like medium, or what?

Hi, maybe say around 70-80% relatively humidity.

They work but I'd wait for winter since the summer leaves are very tender

Back