What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ping gifts

well I just thought it was the final update, the titan is blooming now :hail:

titanupdate.jpg

:hail:

It looks very happy! It's going to put on a nice show for ya, and to think it was an itty bitty plant just a few months ago. I see the leaves are indeed starting to get shorter. Seems like it is going into it's winter mode. I'd start waiting a day or two extra between waterings. Keep an eye on it, you might need to wait a bit longer, especially since your conditions are so much cooler.

Crystal

the titan is flowering

titan_flower.jpg

and here is a fungus gnat stuck on the stalk of the flower pictured above.. DOH!

titan_bug.jpg

Av

thats the best pic of a fungus gnat I have ever seen!
I need some of those lenses!
great shot on that last pic

That is one beautiful flower!

Thanks for the kind words..
Butch

Av8tor1,

Excellent cultivation job. Thanks for sharing the photographs of your success. Please give more details of your cultivation technique.

Awesome shot Butch. You've got alot of talent for these guys !

Thanks Joseph,

Highland conditions, temps no higher then 70ish (no day/night swings)
Humidity no lower then 70ish which spikes into the 90's at night.
Lighting is 18 inches from bank of 6 5000k/85CRI T5's, 18on/6off photoperiod which is now reduced for seasonal conditions.
Soil mix is just pure APS, with an inch or so of LFS in the bottom as a moisture buffer
Top watered only
Couple root feedings with a weak orchid mix, guessing less than 50ppm
Couple applications of AMPAC Biotech's granular Trichoderma with a monthly drench of AMPAC's flowable Trichoderma
and I sure a wee bit of dumb luck in for good measure :)

Butch

is Titan the biggest ping?- is that the one that grows almost cabbage size?

alec,
I believe the one you are thinking of is Pinguicula gigantea.

P_gigantea_runners.jpg

Thanks Joseph,

Highland conditions, temps no higher then 70ish (no day/night swings)
Humidity no lower then 70ish which spikes into the 90's at night.
Lighting is 18 inches from bank of 6 5000k/85CRI T5's, 18on/6off photoperiod which is now reduced for seasonal conditions.
Soil mix is just pure APS, with an inch or so of LFS in the bottom as a moisture buffer
Top watered only
Couple root feedings with a weak orchid mix, guessing less than 50ppm
Couple applications of AMPAC Biotech's granular Trichoderma with a monthly drench of AMPAC's flowable Trichoderma
and I sure a wee bit of dumb luck in for good measure :)

Butch

Reading your temperatures reminded me how lowering the temperature in my own growing area, was one factor that seemed to improve the appearance of my plants.

A few more gifts from a different source... they have all done well except D. gigantea, it hard a rough time after shipment but is now starting to take off

but here are the rest

Thanks mate

P. ehlersiae
P_ehlersiae.jpg

P. lavenana x emarginata
P_laueana_x_emarginata.jpg

Fake P. "Weser"
fake_P_weser.jpg

and an update on crissy's titan
titan_709.jpg

sorry for the white balance adjustments... just some quick point and shoot
Av

Those are looking great.
the garden center 'Weser' is one of my favorites for ease of care and pink color under bright lighting

Thanks Z,

My top shelf was a bit too intense for them it seemed so they have been kept on my lower shelf. They are approximately 24"+ from the lights.

I know color could be better if I found a happy medium in distance... but they seem happy enough

All are in pure APS btw

Thanks again :)
Av

A few more gifts from a different source... they have all done well except D. gigantea, it hard a rough time after shipment but is now starting to take off

but here are the rest

Thanks mate

P. ehlersiae
P_ehlersiae.jpg

P. lavenana x emarginata
P_laueana_x_emarginata.jpg

Fake P. "Weser"
fake_P_weser.jpg

and an update on crissy's titan
titan_709.jpg

sorry for the white balance adjustments... just some quick point and shoot
Av

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: OMG How are they so colorful? What light and lens? Love the shots. :)

I thought they were pretty bad LOL.... Thewhite balance is awful, the "reds" should be more of a salmon in color

just point and shoot... no setup

Is aps the same as flourite? My friend uses it for his aquarium its like clay. Pretty expensive though, 30 a bag. Do you have any suggestions for APS, I might switch my pings to it.

ummmm I think so but I dont know, I know what flourite is from my planted aquarium days..... but that has been a few moons ago

maybe someone else can chime in on this

What is your watering technique for pure APS? I just recently changed my ping media to include 1.5" of APS on the top.

Also, how'd you get the moss to thrive in APS?

Back