Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ping runners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good to hear that the pot is adequate for it I figure its room to grow lol!

It was flowering when I got it and when it "wilted" after I brought it home the flower stalks wilted and the flowers died so, yea, it WAS flowering. lol I think I have a picture of it with its flower somewhere ...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My very first specimen, with all the beginner's luck going for me, sent up 8 consecutive flowers, from fall through winter. It also had some plantlets. It also looked a bit haggard. This was on a SE window, double-paned, in the lab itself, before being banished to the kitchen. I did nothing special. Now i just let the plant flower once and then cut the scapes before they develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill have to look when I get home to see if its growing any scapes? (I assume thats the flower stalk?)

It growing lots of new leaves that have pools of dew in them, so they are catching lots of gnats and fruit flies (which is nice). The older part of the plant looks kind of sad, but the new stuff looks really good.

The newer leaves arent really flat and round at the ends like youres Jim, is that something the leaves do as they mature? You can see some of the leaves there on mine that are long and slender but kind of curl under at the edges.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, scape = stalk. I never really paid attention to leaf shape, but I think you're right. The older leaves are more rounded.

You and I both were relatively more fortunate that others with this species. There are people on this forum who can't keep them alive if their lives depended upon it. One teen even described P. primuliflora as "evil". It may not be the easiest of pings but it's the easiest of the N.A. temperates, much easier that P. planifolia and P. caerulea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just keep watering it! Thats about all I do. lol! Now my D. adelae, thats my issue "child" at the moment although its flowering, it just has NO dew...and I had some Capesis seedlings growing and they all died....they might be my brown thumb area *sigh. Ill just have to keep trying different things!! Good to hear that I am lucky with my primuliflora though...its so pretty!

This morning some of the older leaves have turned brown but the babies and new leaves still look good...Im going to assume its the change in sun and then the temperatures are finally changing, albeit rapidly, but they are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say what caused the reaction. A sudden change can definitely cause a reaction but a gradual change shouldn't. The normal day/night temperature differential isn't a problem but if you take an indoor plant and put it outside, or vice-versa, that could cause a reaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea its always been in my window, well at least for the last couple bits

I checked it out this morning and its just the older leaves that have died back, the babies are still green and happy and the new growth is still dewy so perhaps it was just time for the leaves to die back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a rule of thumb I try to look at how the new growth is doing, while taking less seriously the older leaves, which could be a reflection of either the age of the older leaves or a stressful period, like shipping shock. As long as you are getting new growth, things are going well enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12