What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low P. gracilis flower!!!

Is this unusual or what!?....how low can you go...

gracilis1.jpg

gracilis2.jpg

gracilis3.jpg

gracilis4.jpg

Would you look at that! How neat. LOL

Wow, that's strange. Cool :)

Not much different than mine:

IMG_0249.jpg

sweet......another species i need to pick up :D

My too! My colony died out this summer.

No it didn't!!!....it's still alive....in my colection!

There must be something about Pinguicula gracilis that inspires it to bloom with such an abbreviated flower stalk. Only rarely have mine produced flower stalks that elevate the flower "above" the plant - perhaps an environmental factor, as yet unidentified is responsible.

Well...it just flowered again last week and this time the stalk is way up above the plant...same conditions...so it's doing it because it wants too.

It seems like the first flowers of the season are on short stalks, then later the stalks become longer. If I were Darwin, perhaps I'd expect to find two different pollinators, one for each length of flower stalk.

And too, I believe I only have one clone of this species -- I don't know if more than one clone exists in cultivation, but I certainly hope so, and if so I hope someday to obtain other clones, to compare them with each other. I do have two clones of Pinguicula rotundiflora, one clone always produces flowers with a particular defect, and the other clone always produces perfectly formed flowers.

Last edited:
In my case the flowers were produced by the same clone in 2 very distinct ways...it must be something in the growing conditions i believe. That was the first one of the season...i will see next year if it will happen again.

Back