What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I take leaf cuttings from summer leaves of Mexican butterworts?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
My Pinguicula Moranesis just arrived about 30 minutes ago. I'm a little worried because it arrived in pieces. There were several leaves that came off, along with the flower stalk.

Can I take leaf cuttings from the summer leaves? I'm worried I'll lose the plant. :-(

See this recently updated sticky: Propagating Mexican Pinguicula

Arrivals like you describe, can be disastrous with many plants, but with Mexican Pinguicula they give great opportunities for turning one plant into many.

mine had 99% success. I put some on moist LFS and some I just set in on a flat surface without water- with the rest of my plants- I think the ones that sat there with nothing sprouted the fastest!

I think originally it was suggested that "winter" leaves are the way to go and that idea got circulated amongst the hobbyists. But several of us take leaves at any time of year, in any state and propogate them. The shorter, stubbier leaves may just be easier to extricate from the mother plant and/or feel more turgid than the "summer" leaves.

Back