Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P. primuliflora dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fellow Coloradoan, I thought you might like to hear of my short 4 month history with this plant:

In late July I planted one newly shipped specimen in an existing outdoor mini-bog. Substrate was 50/50 peat/perilite with a top dressing of LFS. The plant received morning and mid-day unfiltered sun with afternoon shade. The planter was watered daily with distilled water unless it was raining.

Within a week all the bottom leaves died, and the upper leaves turned a bronze color and curled upwards around the edges. New plantlets formed on the dead leaves. As the mother plant produced new leaves, they were long, narrow, curled, and bronzed. In late September the mother plant sent up three blooms. During this entire period, the plantlets neither grew nor died. The planter was moved into my unheated garage at the beginning of November and placed under a west facing window. As my other temperate CPs were going dormant: Sarrs, VFTs, and Dews, the Ping began to grow larger leaves that were green and not curled around the edges (more like pics I have seen of this plant). The plantlets are unchanged since late summer.

I am interested to see if it survives the winter in the garage, since I am not sure this plant goes dormant to the degree of the other CPs in its mini-bog.

These observations have led my to believe that the unfiltered Colorado sun is perhaps too intense for this Ping. If it survives the winter, perhaps I will turn the min-bog next spring so that the Sarrs will shade the Ping.

I would be interested to know if any other folks in the mountain states have tried growing this species outdoors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that. But don't worry, mine died, too! It didn't like me very much :/. First, a new leaf had a black mark and then it all went down from there. IT really was a neat plant, though. Oh well. It wasn't fun watching it die, not knowing what happened, not being able to do anything. D:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speedsker: I'm not sure they can take the cold. I think they come from the Florida Panhandle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    Yes, that,s my concern. However, my garage generally stays in the upper 20's and 30's during winter nights. Last night it got down to +2F outside but the Ping seems to have survived in the mini-bog. The LFS on top felt cold to the touch, but no ice. Still got a lot of winter ahead of us, so we will see.
    Duane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spdskr, I kept mine on a east windowsill that got about half a day of sun, nothing too intense. I didnt have a chance to try it outside. It did well in the window though....well to a point lol I hope yours does well this winter (now that its finally becoming winter around here!).

I might run to HomeDepot next week and snatch one up and put it in the seed tank for the winter.

What kind of soil is ideal for a primuliflora?
    I had mine in a 50:50 peat perlite (probably not the right kind but that is what it came in).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NaRnAr View Post
    What kind of soil is ideal for a primuliflora?
    I had mine in a 50:50 peat perlite (probably not the right kind but that is what it came in).
    The pot mine was shipped in contained vermiculite along with peat and perilite. I left some of this soil around the base of the plant when I transplanted it into the mini-bog.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's too cold, I think. That's more like North Carolina temps and great for getting VFT's & most Sarracenias through the winter. A window sill that draws some of the cold from outside is probably about right for winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lost many of the American Pinguicula in my day, they are sensitive when grown outside their native environs so don't take it too hard. I suggest you try P. caerulea...you don't get the pups like P. primuliflora but the plant seems more durable and has survived in my terrarium for years without attention other than watering and eventually offsets.

Jim, you're right about tinkering. Often the best course is to just get them going and leave them be, but at the same time experimentation is what leads to advancement. I appreciate your tinkering!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast