Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: P. primuliflora dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P. primuliflora dying

So it was happy until the weather outside changed and apparently the windowsill became too cold (im guessing) and now the main plant has turned brown and the new top growth is shriveling and turning brown.

The babies that it send out are still alive, there are 6 of them now.

Not sure what happened.

Should I take it and put it under a florescent for the winter? It wouldnt be in the cold windowsill but in a warmer area of the apartment. (my D. adelae is doing fine in the same windowsill...)

Should I leave the babies and just wait and see what happens? One has doubled in size since my post about them a couple weeks ago...

..so, yea. not sure what happened there.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry to hear that. This is not unusual, though. Hard to say what happened. Could be a variety of reasons - too much water / too little water / too much a change in temp or water chemistry / poisoned water / a lot of flowering / old age ... And none of which is probably likely in your case!

I'm one who characteristically does a lot of tinkering and have learned that too much tinkering can kill these plants within a day. Unless the plantlets show signs of distress, I wouldn't change anything up.

P. primuliflora comes from like northern Florida, so they are considered temperate, but not like temperate northern tier of the US. So I would go with what ranges between 50-90 F. Personally, room temp by a southern window sill has worked for me. Temps were on the 60's and 70's and the photoperiod ebbed and flowed accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plantlets look good this morning, I see three of them that are doing well. The one that just started appearing looks a little brown. THere is one with 4 leaves on it.

I had gotten down to around 30 outside for around 3 days, im sure it got chilly in the windowsill but my other cps in the window are still doing just fine. Just a finicky primulifora I suppose!

But like you said it went downhill rather quickly...green and happy one day and brown and dead the next. bah.

I think these little plants are so neat, so the death of one doesnt mean the end!!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know one thing... severing plantlets from the mother plant (which is not the case here) results in death for the plantlets. But if the are independent plants, I wouldn't hesitate to try taking a few of them into a pot with fresh media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plant suddenly turned to the worst due to cold you could simply cover the plant with a plastic bubble to keep it more humid and warm with a light on top of it for the cloudy days. Just be aware that you could be stressing the plant out with the cold weather. The plant may try to go dormant or just die if the weather turns cold for to long. I am not sure if yours has a dormant stage but most pings do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly its all gone now. It did end up dying, now sure why, it was a fast death. I dont think Ihave ever seen a plant die so fast! It left two plantletts however, the plantlets didnt like the move to a new home and they died as well...ah well...Ill give it another go here in a bit! I was looking at a few pics of other peoples and Im thinking the soil was too peaty.

Thanks for the advice though, I will keep that in mind for next time (and for my other plants that get chills easily) !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss... If it makes you feel any better, I have lost quite a few P. primuliflora myself. Those things hate me, and I don't think I can ever purchase one again! I think I can have better luck with a N. Hamata seedling right after a repot....
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I was sad to see it go, it was such a neat plant!...and then I got all geeked out about the babies. They were getting A LOT of light before we moved and now not so much as all our apartment windows face west or north with a lot of shading on the west windows (even when the trees are bare).

Now that I have a spare 10gallon tank with a fluorescent lamp I might get another one and see how it does there. cant be any worse than it did before right?!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast