Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Non carnivorous 'succulent' leaves have no 'dew' on them. That is one way to tell. They might have little hairs but they will not be slimy. The succulent rosette is much more compact. Sometimes this is called the dormancy stage but that is not a correct use of the word; the plant simply swaps to the succulent style of growth.

Even if a clone does not form different shaped leaves, it often still makes leaves much smaller and compact, resembling succulent growth e.g. P. agnata.

Many new growers get worried if their plants don't change state regularly. My advice is not to stress about it. When the plant looks like it is starting to go succulent (often about now for northern hemisphere) then just reduce watering. They still like lots of light (most grow on cliff faces). It is not clear what the triggers are to cause the plant to change state from carnivorous to succulent and vice versa but triggers are thought to include light level, temperature changes, and probably humidity.

One of my P. laueana recently spent about 2 years in succulent growth mode. Three months ago it decided to become carnivorous. Now it has gone succulent again. It is still healthy and flowers reasonably regularly. Other laueana clones I have are kept in the same conditions and obey a more normal cycle or barely go succulent at all.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, that is very interesting about the laueana that spend 2 years in succulent growth. Subjected to the same conditions as the other pings, am I right? Maybe it has a mind of its own and is rebelling!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! I know I recieved them in the carnivorous stage now but, I think they might have changed becuase the leaves are smaller, or am I just going crazy? Also is P. gypsicola an easy plant? It looks really cool. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My carnivorous moranensis totally changed to its succulent leaves. These little leaves are just unfurling like crazy and way smaller than the other leaves.
    “I don’t at all like knowing what people say of me behind my back. It makes me far too conceited.”
    —Oscar Wilde

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. gypsicola is the most challenging of the Mexican butterworts and stays dormant for almost half a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the most challenging ping I keep are my temperate pings. I have P. macroceras subsp nortensis and P. grandiflora.It's not so much growing them but overwintering their hibernacula.Get them too wet they rot so they get babied moreso then my mexican pings do.
    Mark W.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    For me, the most challenging ping I keep are my temperate pings. I have P. macroceras subsp nortensis and P. grandiflora.It's not so much growing them but overwintering their hibernacula.Get them too wet they rot so they get babied moreso then my mexican pings do.
    Mark W.
    When you throw the N.A. temperates into the mix those caerulea and planifolia do fine for a few months and then disintegrate. I haven't figured them out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks for all the help! Turns out 1 is in the succulent stage and the other is still making carnivorous leaves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast