What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping pings as in P. gypsicola

Has anyone came up with a goof-proof way to ship gypsicolas? I have propagated a bunch of them off of their summer leaves and will have quite a few to share with anyone who may want to trade them come springtime.
What I did was put the leaves'after I repotted the plants in their winter leaf mode,in a ziplock bag with somewhat moist vermiculite and put them under lights on a heating pad and they seem to have really started to propagate well.
Mark W.

P. gypsiciola plants are miserable to ship and have them survive. Almost as bad are P. jaumavensis. Winter leaves are better. Since I have had them sprout in dry paper towels I would think that wrapping them in that manner would be a decent approach to shipping them. I'd love to do a trade with you - again - but for different species and crosses, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good to me.I'm up for about anything as far as trades go.I didn't have any luck pollinating their flowers but using the leaf pullings to propagate them I seem to have real good luck with them.I have 4 ziplocks that have summer leaves in them and alot have plantlets on them.I'm going to make some time real soon to pot them up.They are my favorite Mexican pings and I'd like to distribute them.Once I get my favorite pings of all,my temperate pings,firgured out I will do the same with them.

Let's arrange something in the near future! My ping collection took a dive this summer and I lost ~half of them. Some have been replaced but not all. I almost lost P. gypsicola entirely but a couple leaves took.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good Jim,I'll do what I can to set you back up.

The method I have used with good success when shipping Pinguicula which are most easily disassembled by minor disturbances:

-Get a pot the next size smaller than the one the plant is growing in.
-Fill the empty smaller pot with slightly damp Sphagnum moss, not too tight, nor too loose.
-Invert the pot of Sphagnum moss onto the plant holding it gently, but firmly in place.
-Using tape, secure the pot of Sphagnum moss into position over the larger pot.
-Place the entire assembly into a plastic bag and seal it, then pack the entire assembly into a box large enough to accommodate it and plenty of packing materials to immobilize it in the shipping box.

WARNING: this will not work if the media the plant is growing in is heavier than the plant and/or Sphagnum moss. The media can act as a battering ram and smash the plant disastrously.

Thanks Joseph,
The ones I plan on trading are still in ziplock bags so I can basically do it your way.I'm sure sending them in my normal media mix( APS,perlite and,crushed coral) wouldn't be a good thing for the plantlets.
Mark W.

I've done a variety of things over the past few years:

1 a dry paper towel square

2 dried LFS

3 Perlite

4 Dry peat

Not sure works best but a towel square is the least messy as far as keeping mucilage from getting soiled. I've use gumball containers, snack sized baggies, and sealable crafts bags.

I'm not sure about Gypsicola, but when my mate sent me Grandiflora he potted it into a pot that was only 3/4 full and placed damp sphagnum over the top, then sealed it with a lid with breathing holes. I panicked at first because I thought he'd forgotten to put the plant in, then I realised that the moss wasn't actually part of the soil and when I remove dit walluh, a healthy pinguicula underneath :)

Back