Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My rehabilitation progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't referring to that photo, I was more impressed with the one in this thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116710

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    I wasn't referring to that photo, I was more impressed with the one in this thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116710
    That's cool, I just wanted to make sure no one was confused because I put that older photo in the thread. I did get my start of Pinguicula debbertiana from Eric Partrat. It is a fascinating species.

It has been postulated that Pinguicula esseriana and Pinguicula ehlersiae are conspecific, simply genetic variation between plants belonging to the same species. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Pinguicula debbertiana and Pinguicula jaumavensis are also considered part of this same species complex. After checking out this subject a bit more, I see that Fernando Rivadavia has already said as much.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-27-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anxious to see pics!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a web page I created to illustrate how many of the plants looked after their sixteen month ordeal.

After Sixteen Months
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,

These pictures are fantastic...and fascinating. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like Pinguicula 'Titan' (or something else that reminds me of P. 'Titan') and plants in the Pinguicula esseriana complex came through almost unscathed. Every specimen I could see that was labelled P. hemiepiphytica, P. moctezumae and P. 'Tina' was dead.

After this experiment, which pings have proved themselves to be the hardiest (stongest) and the weakest in your conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ispahan,
    Yes, those are Pinguicula 'Titan' in one tray, with good light, always distinctive. Several trays of Pinguicula esseriana, Pinguicula ehlersiae, Pinguicula jaumavensis, and Pinguicula debbertiana. Also there is, at least, an entire tray of Pinguicula gigantea that seems to have done very well.

My collection has never been entirely organized. I've had groups of various species, hybrids, unnamed clones, and cultivars mixed throughout my various shelves and trays. It has often complicated my keeping track of how many of each plant that I have, but presently I am thankful for this disorganized organization, plants that didn't fare too well under present circumstances appear to have done better in one tray or location than they have in others. For example, Pinguicula moctezumae has survived in three pots, all in the same tray. I enjoy this species very much and hope I can successfully rehabilitate these extremely weakened survivors. There are several species, hybrids, and unnamed clones that I have yet to find a surviving plant of, once I've gone through my entire collection and rehabilitated it, I will know then which plants I will need to seek to reacquire.

------
    I will try to compile these observations into a more comprehensive format (added to the page I already created), once I have finished with all the trays.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant believe it.....

Kamil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be very surprised if your plants do not make a speedy and complete recovery. I have had several pings over the past few years that looked much worse than your plants that responded almost like magic to repotting in fresh media and being treated with benign neglect.

I am curious about the plant you have labelled as "AL #3". It looks like a very large Pinguicula agnata, but I have never heard anything about it before. Probably the AL means Alfred Lau and not Alabama...?

I used to grow my pings constantly wet and under lights like you, but in my conditions I had constant rot problems, except in winter. It might be too humid here the rest of the year for that kind of culture.

I now have them on windowsills in natural light and let them dry out slightly in between waterings. Although not quite as colorful as they were under lights, they are larger happier plants with more blooms and produce about twice as many divisions. I also place a few pellets of osmocote under each plant when I repot them and I find they respond quite well to this, especially plants in the Pinguicula moranensis complex. Some pings seem to need a lot more nutrients than others. P. 'Titan' is another that seems to be a very heaver feeder for me.

I can't wait to see how your collection will look in another few months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast