What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My rehabilitation progress

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I will continue to sort through my plant trays and water/fertilize/trim/repot/divide/photograph those surviving plants. Since I have more than ninety trays currently in use, it is probably going to take me a month or more just to sort through them. I will photograph each tray before I work on it, so there is a record of how the plants fared. Then I will compile a report in a web page, then link it here, so we can discuss it.

Here is a photo from greener days to increase the appeal:

i-FjdmtzV-M.jpg

Last edited:
wow, they are bursting out of the pots! Do you use a greenhouse or grow these indoors?

I will photograph each tray before I work on it, so there is a record of how the plants fared. Then I will compile a report in a web page, then link it here, so we can discuss it.

Ooohh. This will be fun!

xvart.

wow, they are bursting out of the pots! Do you use a greenhouse or grow these indoors?

All my Pinguicula are in shoebox sized plastic trays and on shelves under cheap cool-white fluorescent lights, and in a small bedroom which I have converted into a plant-room.

What happened to your plants, Joseph?

What happened to your plants, Joseph?

I had to neglect them for awhile so I could take proper care of my wife while she was ill.

The plants were in my plant-room where everything was automatic except watering, so, despite being dry, they had a well-lit and rather moderate environment, most of the time.

A lot of those plants look surprisingly great. Do you plant to put up any of those plants for trade after they heal like those Pinguicula debbertiana?

A lot of those plants look surprisingly great. Do you plant to put up any of those plants for trade after they heal like those Pinguicula debbertiana?

Don't be fooled by the photo I started this thread with, you may notice I captioned it with, "Here is a photo from greener days to increase the appeal."

Yes, some of the plants shown in the current photos, may well have come from those in this photo. And, yes, some will quite possibly be available for trade.

I wasn't referring to that photo, I was more impressed with the one in this thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116710

That's cool, I just wanted to make sure no one was confused because I put that older photo in the thread. I did get my start of Pinguicula debbertiana from Eric Partrat. It is a fascinating species.

It has been postulated that Pinguicula esseriana and Pinguicula ehlersiae are conspecific, simply genetic variation between plants belonging to the same species. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Pinguicula debbertiana and Pinguicula jaumavensis are also considered part of this same species complex. After checking out this subject a bit more, I see that Fernando Rivadavia has already said as much.

Last edited:
anxious to see pics!

Here is a web page I created to illustrate how many of the plants looked after their sixteen month ordeal.

After Sixteen Months

Joseph,

These pictures are fantastic...and fascinating. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like Pinguicula 'Titan' (or something else that reminds me of P. 'Titan') and plants in the Pinguicula esseriana complex came through almost unscathed. Every specimen I could see that was labelled P. hemiepiphytica, P. moctezumae and P. 'Tina' was dead.

After this experiment, which pings have proved themselves to be the hardiest (stongest) and the weakest in your conditions?

Ispahan,
Yes, those are Pinguicula 'Titan' in one tray, with good light, always distinctive. Several trays of Pinguicula esseriana, Pinguicula ehlersiae, Pinguicula jaumavensis, and Pinguicula debbertiana. Also there is, at least, an entire tray of Pinguicula gigantea that seems to have done very well.

My collection has never been entirely organized. I've had groups of various species, hybrids, unnamed clones, and cultivars mixed throughout my various shelves and trays. It has often complicated my keeping track of how many of each plant that I have, but presently I am thankful for this disorganized organization, plants that didn't fare too well under present circumstances appear to have done better in one tray or location than they have in others. For example, Pinguicula moctezumae has survived in three pots, all in the same tray. I enjoy this species very much and hope I can successfully rehabilitate these extremely weakened survivors. There are several species, hybrids, and unnamed clones that I have yet to find a surviving plant of, once I've gone through my entire collection and rehabilitated it, I will know then which plants I will need to seek to reacquire.

------
I will try to compile these observations into a more comprehensive format (added to the page I already created), once I have finished with all the trays.

Last edited:
I cant believe it.....

Kamil

I would be very surprised if your plants do not make a speedy and complete recovery. I have had several pings over the past few years that looked much worse than your plants that responded almost like magic to repotting in fresh media and being treated with benign neglect.

I am curious about the plant you have labelled as "AL #3". It looks like a very large Pinguicula agnata, but I have never heard anything about it before. Probably the AL means Alfred Lau and not Alabama...? :)

I used to grow my pings constantly wet and under lights like you, but in my conditions I had constant rot problems, except in winter. It might be too humid here the rest of the year for that kind of culture.

I now have them on windowsills in natural light and let them dry out slightly in between waterings. Although not quite as colorful as they were under lights, they are larger happier plants with more blooms and produce about twice as many divisions. I also place a few pellets of osmocote under each plant when I repot them and I find they respond quite well to this, especially plants in the Pinguicula moranensis complex. Some pings seem to need a lot more nutrients than others. P. 'Titan' is another that seems to be a very heaver feeder for me.

I can't wait to see how your collection will look in another few months.

I received both P. [A.L. #3] and P. [A.L. #2] from Ed Read. They are clones of Pinguicula gigantea, which Ed said he received while on a visit to Alfred Lau's home. The only obvious differences between them is that P. [A.L. #3] has trapping/digestive glands on both upper and lower leaf surfaces and P. [A.L. #2] only has them on its upper leaf surfaces. I did self-pollinate P. [A.L. #3], and some of those F2 plants were also without glands on the underside of their leaves.

Is P. gigantea the same thing as P. [encantada]?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they are not the same. You can check through this list - CP Photo Finder - to see that the second plant you mentioned is an unregistered clone of a particular hybrid. Pinguiucla gigantea is a well-known and published species.

Last edited:
Back