Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P. medusina growing tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. A standard Ping mix would be (2/1/1 peat/perlite/sand). This is right out of Savage Garden (as I live right down the street from Peter D'amato's nursery). Anyway I think you and Pyro are right I need a looser soil that drains better. As what it is in now looks like the standard mix (lots of peat) which keeps it very damp!

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    LOL! What is a Ping mix? That's a rhetorical question. My mix is actually Perlite, eggshells, sand, and crushed coral. I guess the common concept is something that drains well and doesn't keep the saturated. I took a picture of mine, right after I received and potted it up. So this won't be impressive:

Thanks Pyro. I have a feeling you are right on about the soil. As stated above mine is in a very wet mix. Also It was sitting in a tray when it should have stayed dry. It has died back a lot but there are still a couple of leaves alive so I'm hoping it will pull though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    For P. medusina I found it grew best with a loose gritty mix (2/2/1 APS/Sand/Peat) kept on shallow tray when actively growing and then pulled form tray and left to dry when dormant. Lots and lots of bright light.

For P. moctezumae, you can basically grow this in any CP mix and keep the media moist but not sodden. Some of my best grown specimens were those that I had in pots with Neps. They also did really well in my tuberous/petiolaris mix (2/2/1/1 APS/Sand/Peat/Milled sphag)

Thanks guys! This has helped confirm that I need to change the setup for growing this plant! I wonder how my friend gets such good results growing this in such a different manner!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-28-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    I wonder how my friend gets such good results growing this in such a different manner!
    Well I can answer that It is the old "This only works for me" thing. I can only swear by my mixes when I am the one growing the plants. Joseph here on the boards used to grow every Ping wet all the time in straight peat. I could never do that.

Simply put, every persons conditions are going to be different from everyone else. You will need to experiment now and again to find what works best for you. In most cases there are "expendable" plants you can test on before trying on something risky. In other cases you just have to try on the risky plant and pray for the best or have someone who can give you back if you fail.

I am sure you will figure out what works best for you. Just try not to get discouraged in the mean time
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going to keep mine in what it came with, until it dies or thrives and provides leaf cuttings. Then I'll try different things. The conditions sound pretty much typical Mexican Ping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The conditions sound pretty much typical Mexican Ping.
    Depends on which Mexi-Ping you are basing your "typical" on. My best advice is to think more along the lines of P. gypsicola, and less along the lines of P. moranensis
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant good drainage and a bit on the drier side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leaves that it came with have withered but a new leaf has emerged:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two came in pots with some damp LFS. I'm going to try them out in 100% APS with my other Mexipings. I'm trying to grow every Mexiping that way to see how they fare. I would really prefer to only use one mix for all of them, and 100% APS is the easiest thing on earth because it requires no mixing. We'll see how it goes. Might try one moist and one dry next winter to see how they do.

One thing I can say about this species is that it produces prolific plantlets from its leaf tips. Mine both came in with at least six plantlets apiece. If you have trouble in one mix, you should be able to start over fairly easily with the plantlets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    One thing I can say about this species is that it produces prolific plantlets from its leaf tips. Mine both came in with at least six plantlets apiece. If you have trouble in one mix, you should be able to start over fairly easily with the plantlets.
    A friend of mine just told me the same thing about plantlets. Right now I'd be happy to see a secnd leaf. The first one looks good, like having a sundew with dew.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast