What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top water or not?

I've heard different ideas on top watering pings instead of using the tray method. What are the opinions from actual growers? Do you top water, do you tray water? Which works best?

-xantius

I prefer to tray water because I don't want soil splashing onto the leaves.

I don't think it really matters. Light and media seem to be the key factors in good growth.

It depends on the plant, I know Nepenthes dont like their soil packed around their roots which is caused by top watering, tray watering is suitable for all but top watering is to be avoided with some plants

I'm no ping expert, but I am a fan of top watering for all my plants. As the water drains throught the pot a low pressure zone is created just behind the water mass. This negitive presssure differential allows fresh air to be pushed into the root zone while the positive pressure differential ahead of the mass pushes the stagnant gases out the bottom

At least that is my logic ???

I'm no expert on pings just gotten into growing these, but I tray water mine and they're doing good so far they have lots of dew.

My best ping was my first one. I didn't know any better and had the pot in a plastic Gladware container, at a SW window sill. I top watered every couple few days and let the plant be. It flowered 8 times in 4 months and produced a bunch of plantlets. Never had anything like that since.

Back