Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula primuliflora tips

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With this plant, the mother plant always dies on me. My best luck has been with starting with leaf cuttings. I'd recommend taking multiple leaf cuttings if you haven't already. Throw them in some very moist to soggy LFS and leave them be. Putting them in a ziplock bag with moist but not dripping wet moss also works for me. Place them under lights. After a few weeks, when the plantlets start to emerge, place them on some very damp LFS or peat/perlite or peat/sand mix and watch them grow. I think the trick is the mother plant isn't adapted to your conditions and has a very hard time doing so. The plantlets emerge in your conditions and are able to handle them.

As far as how wet to keep them, I don't really keep mine all that wet. One pot stays fairly soggy for a few days when I first water, then less so as the water evaporates out. I wait until the shoebox is completely dry for a few days before watering again, then fill it about half way up (that's close to the top of the pot). The other pot only stays moist and never soggy. I don't see a difference in growth. One is in peat/perlite, the other on LFS. I don't see a difference with that either. Both pots are grown under lights, though I do plan to try some outside this year.

Good luck!
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certainly no expert, but here are my experiences for the past nine months:

Plant purchased in July from online retailer. Arrived in peat/perilite/vermiculite mixture. Transplanted to outdoor minibog containing 50/50 peat/perilite. Plant received morning sun and afternoon shade. Plant began to die back but new leaves emerged from crown that were more of a copper color and curled on edges. I read that this was a response to brighter light. Plantlets produced on dead leaves. Main plant bloomed multiple times in fall. Overwintered in garage with south facing window. Plant continued to grow, but more slowly and reverted back to green flat leaves. The original mother plant has already bloomed this spring and has several developing blooms that should open in a few weeks. The plantlets are still small, but still alive also.

I have tried to keep the plant moist at all times. I also think that the Colorado afternoon sun it too strong for this species during the summer months. I honestly didn't expect it to survive this winter after reading reports here, but I guess I got lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's it then; if ElGecko and his Magic Window® cannot grow primuliflora then what hope do the rest of us have??

Could primuliflora be considered an annual then?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel all of your pains. I too am trying to grow them. I'm new to them though. Had 4 die on me so far and have 2 left. One has been in bloom. I also have a p.Moranensis and p. Agnata that are doing O.K. so far. They get late afternoon sun only.

I WILL MASTER THESE!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, i've heard of all the sad tales of primulifloras dying away, but i have magically mastered these: they stay on the bottom of my surprisingly dim terrarium, and i keep them a little moist. Somehow mine thrive in my neglecting 'care' LOL. i really need a new light system
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the reason they are very nice in damp dark nurseries, and in the bottom of dark terra is because they like those conditions...
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone seems to have an green achiles heel (or should I say 'brown') - a plant that does gangbusters for everyone else but for some mysterious cosmic reason unbeknownst to them fails no matter what their attempts. It seems you've found yours.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, yay!
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast