Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula primuliflora tips

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinguicula primuliflora tips

Well I like Pinguicula primuliflora a lot and have tried 2 or 3 times before.
    Growing in different media and locations, but still have it die in the fall.

I've tried keeping it very wet with a soil mix of 50/50 peat/perlite.
    I've tried it damp with a soil mix of 50/05 peat/perlite with a top layer of living Sphagnum.

I tried placing it into my garage with all the other temperate plants during winter.
    I tried letting it grow on the south facing windowsill over winter.

It always dies on me.

I was at the garden center today and there was a very nice one with several plants on some leaf tips. I could not resist, even every attempt I've tried so far with the plant has failed.
    I'm thinking of growing it in a 50/50 peat/sand mix in my terrarium. Not sure what I should do with it in the fall though. I do change the light schedule and temps in the house do cool a little, but not a whole lot.

What are the secrets to growing this one, or other tips you can offer so I might be able to grow it over a years time?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    throw it away and get something different

that plant is so annoying!

haha I've had almost the exact situations you've had... for some reason though my neglectful gardencenter can grow them in the shade under a rack sopping wet and they live... its the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    throw it away and get something different

that plant is so annoying!

haha I've had almost the exact situations you've had... for some reason though my neglectful gardencenter can grow them in the shade under a rack sopping wet and they live... its the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen
    LOL
    I'll probably have to do that anyway.

I've always liked Pinguicula planifolia more, but always read where it's harder to grow then Pinguicula primuliflora.
    Maybe if I fail with the Pinguicula primuliflora this time, I'll ask around and see if I can get a trade for Pinguicula planifolia. Maybe I'd have better luck since it's to be harder to grow. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I'm going to take a photo of the primuliflora's at this nursery...

you can see ALL the other cp's just barely surviving under the awful conditions EXCEPT primuliflora which just seems to produce a million plantlets...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read, all you need is a very wet soil of either pure peat or pure sphagnum (or mixes of the two), and kept in a shady condition.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My buddy grows them really well in almost full shade. I tried them once. My beds were very sunny. The only ones that survived were pots that had tipped over and were under water. Then I put the pots upright and they died too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    From what I've read, all you need is a very wet soil of either pure peat or pure sphagnum (or mixes of the two), and kept in a shady condition.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I thought you were going to offer tips!

My best plant was my first plant, a "Lowes cube of death" thing. That was in 2004-2005. I can't remember for sure the media but I don't think I did anything more sophisticated than the container it was already in, which is probably just peat. As to lighting, I had it in the lab, at a SE exposure window. That's not the best lighting and the thing produced 8 flowers, from the fall through February and produced several plantlets. Then I moved it to the kitchen window, which was SW exposure, in a plastic container. I watered it from overhead, ~3x a week, with the deionized water. It was a great plant until I put it outside, where it got infested with aphids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Scott,
    Grow a different Ping maybe
    Thinking of that I had a Pinguicula grandiflora for a couple years till aphids got that plant. Never replaced it............

I have great luck growing them on the south facing windowsill (If I can remember correctly) , or outside under the table that gets very early morning and evening sunlight. The rest of the day it's bright indirect lighting.
    I just can not grow it more then 1 season. I always lose the plant in the fall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast