What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil Mix for Mexican Pings

Okay so I recently ordered a P. moranensis and I was wondering if I could make a suitable soil mix out of sand, peat, and LFS. Anyone have suggestions?

All comments appreciated! :D

i use an even mix of peat and sand, and another of pure peat, both are doing the same in either condition.

They're not too picky and there is a wide variety of mixes being used. They do tend to want a more alkaline environment so crushed coral is also a good additive.

i try to use 2:2:1 peat, perlite, vermiculite mix

The best success I have has been a peat, perlite, vermiculite and APS mix. I always go easy on the peat though due to unpleasant root rot experiences in the past.

There is no need to use any organic materials;

A mix of 1:1 perlite/sand works almost as good as Aquatic Plant Soil (expensive stuff you can get at Lowes).

I got my bag 'o Schultz APS for about $7-$8 from Home Depot a couple years ago. Lasts forever..... ;)

I too prefer an all mineral media, such as mixtures of silica sand, perlite, vermiculite, and APS or plain kitty litter.

Joseph, do you ever use gypsum in your mixes for any of your Pings?

I just bought a small bag of gypsum and was wondering what pings appreciate a little gypsum in their mix?

Are there some ping species that would not care for gypsum?

Thanx,

I haven't done any definitive tests to determine, for certain, which, if any, Pinguicula are inhibited by added calcium (such as gypsum), to their media. I have used both gypsum and coral sand as sources of calcium in Pinguicula media. I am fairly confident that I have seen Pinguicula gypsicola respond favorably to such calcium. I think I've seen some other species respond poorly to added calcium, though I can't recollect which species those were. Someday, if I make the time, I may even test this hypothesis - to satisfy my own curiosity, but too busy right now to make it happen.

Thank you!

I just might add a tiny bit of gypsum to the mix for my 'George Sargent'; see how it responds.....

'worth a shot anyway............. ;)

I don't want to steer this thread away from the original question, but, when using crushed coral or coral sand, is it necessary to leech before using? If so, what are the methods. Also, where does one find gypsum? I see "decorative rock" that has the appearance of gypsum, but it may just be quartz.

You should be able to buy it as a soil amendment for clay or hard pan at most garden stores. You might have to special order it. I think the smallest it comes in is a five pound bag. Enough to last you several lifetimes.

I don't want to steer this thread away from the original question, but, when using crushed coral or coral sand, is it necessary to leech before using? If so, what are the methods. Also, where does one find gypsum? I see "decorative rock" that has the appearance of gypsum, but it may just be quartz.

It was actually Joseph Clemens who suggested, among other things, crushed coral and Mark Wilson who sent me a bag of it. I would rinse all media of dust and impurities, just in case.

I hear of crushed coral a lot; WHERE does one acquire crushed coral??

A pet store or specialty aquarium store??

...and the coral is just for a little added calcium content, correct?

I got my coral sand at "Petsmart" in the saltwater aquarium section, called Aragonite.

Waking up this conversation. Are you guys using the coral to raise alkalinity?

Not to raise pH, per se, but to add calcium.

Fryster, you can get everything you need at Pruess's in the fish section.

BTW, when are we gonna have another CP meeting!?!?! Haven't had one since my first 3 months in the hobby.

Back