What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
It's been awhile since I've done any updates on anything. Here are some of my Pinguicula. I hope you enjoy :).

P. ehlersiae (I think)
IMG_3912.jpg

P. agnata CSUF
IMG_3682.jpg

P. weser out growing its pot
IMG_3683.jpg

P. gypsicola
IMG_3684.jpg

P. laueana x emarginata
IMG_3689.jpg

P. 'Pirouette'
IMG_3697-1.jpg

P. 'Titan' or P. moranensis - I never labeled it
IMG_3693.jpg

Two of three Ping trays
IMG_3704-1.jpg

How I propagate my Ping leaf cuttings - media is vermiculite and perlite
IMG_3856.jpg

Crystal

Last edited:
I am not a Ping fan to say the least but your collection would make any grower jealous and envious!
Looks like a nice batch of healthy Nep seedlings in that last picture ;) Thanks for sharing!

Hey Crystal, haven't heard much from you. :) Amazing Pings, gotta love the difference in color with the other Pings. Great job. :D

F R e N c H 3 z,
Thanks for the kind words :). Pinguicula and Drosera are my favorite plants to grow; Utricularia aren't too far behind them. It took me awhile to figure out what worked best for me to grow butterworts. I nearly gave up. I'm glad I kept at it. The Nepenthes seedlings you spotted are N. mirabilis 'Hot Lips'. The person I received them from wasn't sure about them being 'Hot Lips'. Neither of us had seen it used with N. mirabilis before. Only time will tell.

Capensis,
Thanks! I love the color diversity when it comes to Pings. Yeah, I haven't been around too much lately. I'm still alive, I promise :).

Crystal

I know exactly what you mean about giving up on them...I did just recently...
As for Utrics I almost did that same but decided otherwise, I've only flowered livida and dichotoma. I do have a few that were struggling that are just now starting to come back (calcifida and arenaria).

I would love to see some pics of your utrics if you get a chance, your plants are always of top caliber!

Looking real good!

Is that vermiculite and perlite in all those pictures? I use Peat and Perlite in mine right now, maybe I should reconsider! :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Sorry to hear you had to give them up F R e N c H 3 z. It was all about growing media for me. Peat based mixes just did not work out at all in my conditions. I'll see what I can do about some Utric pictures. I doubt that I have much in bloom. I'll check this weekend.

mcantrell, most of the Pings in the pictures are grown in pure aquatic plant soil or at least very close to pure. I seem to get moss popping up in about every pot in every kind of media so it makes it hard to tell what's under there. I can't find aquatic plant soil anymore so I've moved to a much cheaper alternative, pure vermiculite or a mix of vermiculite with perlite. The three P. gypsicola that can be seen are in a vermiculite/perlite mix. It's close to 50/50. The last picture with all the leaf cuttings and plantlets is vermiculite with some perlite thrown in. Are your Pings doing well in peat? If so, I would test the vermiculite first with a spare Ping and see how it works out in your conditions. What works well for me might not work for you.

Thanks Jim!! You got me started in Pinguicula. It's your fault ;) :banana2:.

Crystal

O wow! those are amazing!!!

Love the P. agnata CSUF. Awesome plants as usual!

Phil

Nice pings!

Excellent! I just started growing some pings a month or 2 ago.

and youre the one that got me started.....:hail:

very nice indeed Crissy,
Av

mcantrell, most of the Pings in the pictures are grown in pure aquatic plant soil or at least very close to pure. I seem to get moss popping up in about every pot in every kind of media so it makes it hard to tell what's under there. I can't find aquatic plant soil anymore ...
Do you have any Lesco distributors around your area? $10 for 50 lbs can go pretty far ... Or Swords Napa alternative ...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Pings sure are addicting :).

I'm not familiar with Lescor Ron. Is that dealing with golf? If so, there are a few golf places around here, though I've never been to any. We have Napa though. I saw the stuff that was recommended from there. I'd be afraid it would turn to mush. I do let my pots stand in a bit of water until it either gets used up or evaporates. I've already been through that with an all natural kitty litter. Thankfully I tested it before I repotted anything. Thank you for the suggestions though :).

Crystal

Here's an update. I got around to taking some pictures of some flowering Pings today. These are all first time bloomers for me. As far as I know, the IDs are right. I'm terrible when it comes to identifying plants, so if something isn't right please speak up :).

F R e N c H 3 z, I took a peek at my Utrics today. They really aren't much to look at right now.

P. 'Weser'
weser-1.jpg

P. moranensis (looks like P. 'Titan' to me?)
moranensis.jpg

P. gypsicola x moctezumae
gypsicolaxmoctezumae-1.jpg

For fun, very large P. gigantea x moctezumae
IMG_4023.jpg

Enjoy,
Crystal

Last edited:
WOAH! Awesome pings Crys! ;) Love it!

Thanks Rob!! They are my babies :).

I'm not familiar with Lescor Ron. Is that dealing with golf?
I'm not too sure what they are but they manufacture infield conditioner for baseball fields which is the same stuff as APS (per Av). Here's the website. (& yes - I gave you the wrong name up above - it's Lesco). It looks like you've got a distributor in Wilmington & another in Little River, SC.

We have Napa though. I saw the stuff that was recommended from there. I'd be afraid it would turn to mush. I do let my pots stand in a bit of water until it either gets used up or evaporates. I've already been through that with an all natural kitty litter.
I haven't used this stuff yet (the NAPA stuff) but I did get a bag. I've had some sitting in water for a few weeks and it's held up. In addition, once it's washed XX times, the TDS comes down & stays down. However, you must specify the part # that Swords mentioned previously because they have more than 1 oil dry product. My local store had to order the stuff Swords recommended (no charge).

Thanks Ron, I'll see about checking into your suggestions. Thankfully for the time being, vermiculite is working out for me. It's cheap too if bought in the large bags.

Crystal

Back