What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. cyclosecta a lost cause?

i managed to procure for myself a P. cyclosecta. unfortunately, from shipping, the plant is in rather VERY shoddy shape. many of the leaves have been torn off and i can't even make out what's left of the main plant--cant find the growing point, and no roots. i planted what i thought was the plant, but being realistic, i don't see this plant surviving this ordeal. is there anything that i can do to help increase my chances of saving this plant? asexual propagation doesn't look possible since the leaves are in their carnivorous stage.

here's what i've been doing:
photoperiod: 12 hrs
lighting: 65 W CF 10,000/6700K (dunno what the lumens are)
humidity: very high...plant is placed in an aquarium with water (but the pot is elevated so it is not waterlogged)
watering: top water, but not on plant

when should i just call it quits? are pings as resilient as Drosera?

You can most definitely use the leaves as cuttings. It doesn't matter if the leaves are carnivorous or not.

Earlier this year, I ordered a Mexican butterwort bare-root. When it arrived, many leaves were falling off. I took those leaves and laid them on soil and covered it with a humidity dome. All of those leaves produced baby plants, sometimes several on a leaf.

So yes, use those leaves as cuttings.

Did not know that. All the sources that I've looked at said that only winter leaves could be used. I forgot to mention i am using a humidity dome, not that it seems to make a difference since i fail to see any condensation forming inside the cup.

some of the leaves are beginning to melt. i'll see if i can save any.

The winter leaves are less likely to dry out before plantlets will grow. You can propagate with either form of leaf.

You are not likely to see condensation unless there is a temperature difference between the inside and outside of your container.

Message sent.

For the leaves, I had great luck with long fiber Sphagnum.

I'm not doing anything sophisticated at all:

Picture004-7.jpg

Looks like your Ping farm is doing well, Jim. :p

Pings are very resilient... unless they're in my hands. I've killed every MexiPing I've ever owned. :(

That's even less sophisticated than my way. I didn't know that was possible!

I just grab a leaf with tongs (I HATE slime!), gently yank it off the plant, and in the same motion, shove it into some Sphag.

jimscott, your ping farm looks friggin amazing! dunno if i want an extensive ping collection, but you're tempting me!

Hi Amphirion

All good advice, the leaves can most certainly be used for propagation. Lots of good resources on the forum about taken leaf pullings.

here's what i've been doing:
photoperiod: 12 hrs
lighting: 65 W CF 10,000/6700K (dunno what the lumens are)
humidity: very high...plant is placed in an aquarium with water (but the pot is elevated so it is not waterlogged)
watering: top water, but not on plant

That photoperiod seems rather low to me (even for winter). Mexican Pinguicula are relatively low light tolerant compared to some other CP's, but the more light you give them, the healthier and more robust the plants will be. The formation and growth of plantlets will occur much quicker with a longer photoperiod also. Have a read on the forum and see what other growers use, but I consider 12 hrs on the low side. As a guide, I used 15 hrs this winter for my grow shelves with Mex Ping's.

I would also advise caution with your watering regime. Mexican Pinguicula can obtain quite a lot of moisture from the air and it sounds like it is very, very humid. Very humid air, top watering and low light levels may lead to rot. I am not saying it is not possible, but you just need to water attentively. Mex Pinguicula are tough plants, but overwatering is the main cause of death.

some of the leaves are beginning to melt. i'll see if i can save any.

Not sure what you mean by this. If the air and the media is too humid, the leaves rot before they produce plantlets. If the air and the media is too dry, they shrivel before they can produce plantlets. From your setup, I would say they may be rotting.

I hope you have some success and generate some plantlets. It is always a bummer when plants get knocked around in the post. But, Mexican Pings are very tough, grow new roots very quickly and can easily be propagated to form new plants. They are some of the reasons why they are the best genus of CP to grow!

You can literally toss them up in the air and have them land on the floor and plant them. In contrast, you bump a pigmy sundew and it could be toast!

hahaha. lolz on the tossed ping salad.
@ mattshore, thanks for your advice. 'melting' i guess a term i borrow from planted fish tanks where the plant looses structural integrity and disintegrates. i will lower the humidity and up the lighting and see if anything happens. thanks.

hahaha. lolz on the tossed ping salad.
@ mattshore, thanks for your advice. 'melting' i guess a term i borrow from planted fish tanks where the plant looses structural integrity and disintegrates.

I've always called it "liquefying". I've done it to cacti and orchids.

Back