What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grams to mL recipe for Iron Oxide?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
How much Iron oxide do I need to how much water, for Mexican pings?

How much Iron oxide do I need to how much water, for Mexican pings?

I've only, ever, just pre-moistened a main media ingredient, like perlite, or APS, adding about 1/8th teaspoon to a gallon of the moist media ingredient, then mix them until thoroughly mixed together, I then use the ingredient as usual and complete my media, then plant as usual. Some will initially wash out of the pot when the plant is top-watered. I only occasionally top water, usually when I am fertilizing, most times I just add water to the plant trays and they get watered that way.

Perfect... thanks! Now... where are you obtaining APS. I tried googling it and wasn't getting a good definition of what it is and where to get it.

Jim, APS is aquatic plant soil. It's nothing more than super heated clay. It doesn't revert back to being soft. I used to be able to get it at Home Depot and Lowes. The HD here discontinued it. Lowes was back ordered. I don't know if they ever got any back in. Here's a link to the stuff I used to use: http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Plant-Soil-10-lb/dp/B00025YW34

It pretty much looks like fish gravel.

If neither of those places sell it, you might need to check with specialty pond supply places. I believe Ron mentioned it's also sold under another name for golf courses.

I now just use a 50:50 mix of perlite and vermiculite. It's much cheaper than APS.

Good luck!
Crystal

Perfect... thanks! Now... where are you obtaining APS. I tried googling it and wasn't getting a good definition of what it is and where to get it.

I also dont have any locations that carry APS near me so I resorted to using Pool Filter Sand, it's just as clean as silica sand but is larger in size grain wise. Comes in 50 lbs bags and costs less than $10.

Thanks for the sources. For now I'll stick with what I have: sand. perlite, egg shells, and crushed coral. They live; they grow; they flower. Ping mixes and Nep mixes vary widely.

Yep! If your plants are doing well in your current mix, I wouldn't change it. I had to change my mix because my plants were dying in peat mixes. Then I had to change again when I could no longer find APS.

I have found some at a place that does fish ponds and water gardens. It seemed a bit on the expensive side. But then everything in Maui tends to be expensive. Shipping costs get passed onto the consumer. And sadly the swimming pool supply place didn't carry sand filter sand. I have been testing a mixture of kitty litter (clay), perlite, vermiculite, silica sand. Crushed coral would not be a problem for me (I just need to head to the beach), just ensuring that all the salt was out of it may be difficult.

I almost need some enterprising friend to box up some sand in a flat rate USPS priority mail box and send it to me. I think 50lbs would fit into the large or medium sized box. Weight limit for the box is 70 lbs and price for shipping would remain the same to Hawaii. Hey, maybe I can send a box of coral sand to who ever wants it :) as a trade.

Mahalo,

For that matter I suppose you can use the red sand from the old cinder cone and get your ferric oxide that way.

I have considered the red and black volcanic cinders for my CP growing media. They work nicely and prevent soil compaction. I tend to use them for Sarracenia and Nepenthes mediums. However, hearing that they might be an issue for certified nursery growing in Hawaii. Apparently, nematode infestation issues.

I do have a bag of the Iron-Oxide. Maybe it's just not necessary since I have a mineral-rich media with the crushed coral and egg shells?

Back