What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do you think its time to repot?

this is ping one year ago

this is my ping now, after the rain came in

its in a 5 inch pot and the soil looks pretty low, what do u guys think?

its up to you, you could remove it, add more soil to it and pot it back up so its sitting at the top of the pot rather than below the rim...

Good growth - well done!

Leave it. Pings do not suffer from lack of pot space or old media (they hardly have any roots). It is only worth repotting when you want/need to divide or take leaf pullings, or the plant is literally falling out of its pot.

well it would be falling apart if the soil wasnt low enough
and i do want to do leaf pullings, but i've never done it before, any tips on leaf pullings?
also when repotting, do u guys put a layer of vermiculte or perlite at the bottom of the pot?
my friend tells that if u do, that would prevent soil from leaking out of the pot
by the way, what kind ping is mine?

I would guess that this is one of the Weser/Sethos vaguely look alike clones in circulation but that would only be a guess. The flower always helps identity.

Leaf pullings are generally more successful when taken from a plant in its Winter growth (tighter, smaller leaves) but, depending on the species/hybrid, the Winter growth may not differ much. The idea is that you remove the plant from the media and pull off some of the bottom healthy green leaves (gently pull out and downwards - do not break them). Usually, some of these simply fall off the plant as you are handling it (my P. kondoi/reticulata likes to completely disintegrate given half the chance). Then lay the leaves on the media. With luck, small plantlets will develop, usually at the end that was joined to the plant.

To prevent media falling out the holes in the bottom, yes, you can put anything in the bottom but note that whatever it is will affect uptake of water through the bottom e.g. pieces of sphagnum moss are great at sucking up water while non absorbent material such as gravel will not be.

Good luck.

You can literally pick the plant up in your hand and start plucking leaves, starting from the oldest ones, and place them in a new pot. Then put the parent plant back. I've been pulling leaves all year long, whether they be in growth mode or not. These plants aren't easily upset at all.

Picture004-7.jpg

wow thanks for showing me pics lol

Back