What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitosis.....pinguicula style...say wha?

Yeah this is pretty much a new one for me....
my P. ehlersiae has always been somewhat of a strange grower....then it started to flower finally, after a year and a half of owning it...this one came from Xvart some odd time ago when he gave me a good number of pings....
Well xvart, your plant is weird. enough said lol.
Its decided, from atleast what it looks like its doing, to split itself straight down the center....
DSC02993.jpg

DSC02992.jpg

Your right, that is weird. I LOVE IT!

It's simply dividing, I don't see anything extremely weird about it. At least you have two plants now. :)

The real odd thing is... I thought that ehlersiae had a very compact rosette like
P. jaumavensis or P. esseriana (I really can't tell the three apart). Yours has longer, more spaced out leaves. However, the flower morphology matches. Hmmmm..

w03
the plant was on a windowsill a couple weeks ago after i moved it in from the greenhouse. it did, at one point have that compact rosette going...
now that its back under a couple CFLs, its flowering, and hopefully will resume its compact growth.
ive never had one of my pings split down the center, so its weird for me ;)

In any case, great plant (love your vent x angasanensis as well!). What soil are you using for the ping?

the ping if i recall correctly is peat/perlite/vermiculite....
here is a P. agnata growing in the same mix
DSC02979.jpg

Whoa... the color on that P. agnata is... ...amazing! :0o:

Last edited by a moderator:
My P. emarginata spilted too...but into threeeeeee

Last year my P. 'John Rizzi' split into five plants as it entered winter growth and started flowering. It's growing like a geodesic dome now with rosettes forming the polygons, if that makes any sense. A leaf pulling division of this cultivar is now doing the same as the light levels decrease.

This is actually quite common at least in my pings and seems to correspond with when they are flowering. So far these plants have divided:

P. emarginata, P. 'Pirouette', P. agnata.

Last year my P. 'John Rizzi' split into five plants as it entered winter growth and started flowering. It's growing like a geodesic dome now with rosettes forming the polygons, if that makes any sense. A leaf pulling division of this cultivar is now doing the same as the light levels decrease.

This is actually quite common at least in my pings and seems to correspond with when they are flowering. So far these plants have divided:

P. emarginata, P. 'Pirouette', P. agnata.

Lol im sure it is common, its just a first for me with my pings...and its only happened with this one.

I'm wondering if leaves just plain got separated from the center and started new plants.

Every time my pings flower, they also split at the same time. (p. weser, moranensis, moranensis giant)

Off topic, but my d. alicia splits occasionally when it flowers, but i want a tall uniform tube, so i just pluck out the new growth and it resumes back to one growth point. I don't think this would be applicable or even worth it for pings though, just thought i'd throw that in...

Hi joseph may I know what is "Nomenclature adjustment"?

i assume he used a word that was not as tolerated as 'amazing' is tolerated.

from wiki:
Nomenclature refers to either a list of names and/or terms, or to the system of principles, procedures and terms related to naming - which is the assigning of a word or phrase to a particular object or property.

Well the damn thing wont stop flowering, sorry its a crappy photo, its with my iPhone,
pingpic.jpg

Back