Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P. Gigantea Selfing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantae777 View Post
    4. place in warm, dry place out of direct light (On top of my refrigerator has been my best spot)
    ! Fascinating! Does your fridge get any light at all? My attempts to start mine in a covered pot in the windowsill have failed miserably -- as usual. The same windowsill occasionally gets me P. 'Yucca Do 1713' plantlets, so... thinking maybe it's something I'm doing, heh.

Are we talking a damp paper towel, or just a dry towel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing wet.
    Always interested in a trade. PM me. Growlist:http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=120564

I'm bigger than you! Hahaha!

Pinguiphile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ieat100s View Post
    I'm guessing wet.
    Nope, right off the the roll DRY: A wet paper towel would lead to mush in just a few days. The leaves need to callus over prior to initiating plantlet formation and high moisture and humidity prevents this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just... get a bit of paper towel, put a leaf with some white in it, put it someplace warm but dark, and wait for 3 weeks?

The dry thing is odd, that explains why I had more luck with my Yucca Do 1713 "pullings" that were accidentally thrown onto the plastic parts of my pots then the ones put on the pots itself. Crazy.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantae777 View Post
    I have been wanting to produce a step by step process much as what is available on pinguicula.org but perhaps with better images. I learned from the outline on pinguicula.org as well as numerous failed attempts. I will work on this as it seems many individuals are frustrated with ping pollination.

I also have seedlings of P. sp. "Koehres" x 'Aphrodite' - I am really excited to seed the progeny; low amount of seed produced from the cross but the seedlings are growing very well so I remain hopeful.
    I say go for it. I thought I understood what to do, where the pollen was, and how to get bring the gametes together. But nothing worked. I would also like to know how many days after a flower has opened is the pollen viable.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

When learning something new, it's usually a good idea to learn one good approach, just to avoid confusion. Once mastered, then trying different ways becomes appropriate. Go do it the way Plantae777 suggests.

Having said that, awhile back, I was taught the Joseph Clemens method, which was putting slightly damp soil media in a baggie, with ;eaves sprinkled on top. Seal it and forget about it for a few weeks. By then there should be sprouts. That works.

Then another hobbyist (Capslock) suggested putting leaves on top of the media of the parent plant, uncovered. That works.

People also say to use "winter leaves" as opposed to "growth mode" leaves. I take cuttings any time of year, in both states of growth, and find no real difference, other than winter leaves are easier to work with.

Nearly everything I have, or at least been shipping out, has been from a leaf cutting. Below is a picture of "the farm", from this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. Just had a pull bring with it about 3 1/4" long roots. Anything different I should do with a pre-rooted leaf pull? I put it in the a different pot with the same soil, gently watered it, and put it close to it's papa. I also have another one right next to it, sitting on top of the media, and a third in a dry paper towel, inside a ziplock bag, on the bottom of my plant shelf.

Can you tell I'd really like to get the silly thing cloned?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12