What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. Gigantea Selfing?

Propagating P. Gigantea

I have a Gigantea that's not doing so hot. It's in a 4" round plastic pot, a perlite heavy mix, and is about 6" wide.

However, it did just start sending up a flower stalk for the first time, right around the same time the P. moranensis did, so it must be happy in some way, right?

Anyway, my question is -- does P. gigantea self? It's a species and not a cultivar, right? So doing up seed of it wouldn't be counterproductive?

Would it be wiser for me to just take a cutting or pull and try that way? I've had horrendous luck with getting Pings to strike. Wikipedia suggests leaf <i>cuttings</i>, I am presuming they mean standard leaf pulls? I've never had any intentional leaf pulls take, even using my prop chambers (covered pots).

How big does P. gigantea get, anyway?

Yes, they do. Mine made three, and I traded out two.

Not easy to tell according to my own experience. I always try to do it by myself.

I noted at home that the P. gigantea "lilac flower" from Stan Lampard I grow never selfpollinate but the P. gigantea "white form" produce seeds by self pollenisation sometimes (very few).

I cross both and produced many seeds that germinate easily. These plants are adults and flowered light lilac. Now I have various clones I try again to crosspollinate to have more seeds.

I think it's variable, but my largest clone has hit 17 inches leaf span and leaf props given to other growers have gone well over a foot.

I have a Gigantea that's not doing so hot. It's in a 4" round plastic pot, a perlite heavy mix, and is about 6" wide.

However, it did just start sending up a flower stalk for the first time, right around the same time the P. moranensis did, so it must be happy in some way, right?

Anyway, my question is -- does P. gigantea self? It's a species and not a cultivar, right? So doing up seed of it wouldn't be counterproductive?

Would it be wiser for me to just take a cutting or pull and try that way? I've had horrendous luck with getting Pings to strike. Wikipedia suggests leaf <i>cuttings</i>, I am presuming they mean standard leaf pulls? I've never had any intentional leaf pulls take, even using my prop chambers (covered pots).

I just produced a large amount of seed from a selfing of P. gigantea AL#3 sure enough it was viable as I have 75+ seedlings progressing past the cotyledon stage. It is a violet flowered form. I would refrain from selfing your gigantea if you say it is under stress...

Propagating P. gigantea from leaf pullings is easier than most Pinguicula species in my experience. I use the method described by Joseph Clemens, also known as the paper towel method:

1. Pluck leaf from base of plant
2. Place leaf in paper towel
3. fold paper towel in half over leaf LOOSELY
4. place in warm, dry place out of direct light (On top of my refrigerator has been my best spot)
5. Check weekly; once you have plantlets produced move the leaf to your standard media and wait for roots. The point at which you move the leaf to moist media, it will start to rot but thats OK just keep it monitored.

I have a leaf that I am currently propagating in this method; I will take a picture of it later today.

P. gigantea gets as large as its individual genetics and your growing environment will allow:water:

I could use a hand-pollinating course. All my attempts, including ripping off flower petals, have failed.

I have been wanting to produce a step by step process much as what is available on pinguicula.org but perhaps with better images. I learned from the outline on pinguicula.org as well as numerous failed attempts. I will work on this as it seems many individuals are frustrated with ping pollination.

I also have seedlings of P. sp. "Koehres" x 'Aphrodite' - I am really excited to seed the progeny; low amount of seed produced from the cross but the seedlings are growing very well so I remain hopeful.

4. place in warm, dry place out of direct light (On top of my refrigerator has been my best spot)

! Fascinating! Does your fridge get any light at all? My attempts to start mine in a covered pot in the windowsill have failed miserably -- as usual. The same windowsill occasionally gets me P. 'Yucca Do 1713' plantlets, so... thinking maybe it's something I'm doing, heh.

Are we talking a damp paper towel, or just a dry towel?

I'm guessing wet.

I'm guessing wet.

Nope, right off the the roll DRY: A wet paper towel would lead to mush in just a few days. The leaves need to callus over prior to initiating plantlet formation and high moisture and humidity prevents this.

So just... get a bit of paper towel, put a leaf with some white in it, put it someplace warm but dark, and wait for 3 weeks?

The dry thing is odd, that explains why I had more luck with my Yucca Do 1713 "pullings" that were accidentally thrown onto the plastic parts of my pots then the ones put on the pots itself. Crazy.

I have been wanting to produce a step by step process much as what is available on pinguicula.org but perhaps with better images. I learned from the outline on pinguicula.org as well as numerous failed attempts. I will work on this as it seems many individuals are frustrated with ping pollination.

I also have seedlings of P. sp. "Koehres" x 'Aphrodite' - I am really excited to seed the progeny; low amount of seed produced from the cross but the seedlings are growing very well so I remain hopeful.

I say go for it. I thought I understood what to do, where the pollen was, and how to get bring the gametes together. But nothing worked. I would also like to know how many days after a flower has opened is the pollen viable.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

When learning something new, it's usually a good idea to learn one good approach, just to avoid confusion. Once mastered, then trying different ways becomes appropriate. Go do it the way Plantae777 suggests.

Having said that, awhile back, I was taught the Joseph Clemens method, which was putting slightly damp soil media in a baggie, with ;eaves sprinkled on top. Seal it and forget about it for a few weeks. By then there should be sprouts. That works.

Then another hobbyist (Capslock) suggested putting leaves on top of the media of the parent plant, uncovered. That works.

People also say to use "winter leaves" as opposed to "growth mode" leaves. I take cuttings any time of year, in both states of growth, and find no real difference, other than winter leaves are easier to work with.

Nearly everything I have, or at least been shipping out, has been from a leaf cutting. Below is a picture of "the farm", from this summer.

Picture004-7.jpg

Huh. Just had a pull bring with it about 3 1/4" long roots. Anything different I should do with a pre-rooted leaf pull? I put it in the a different pot with the same soil, gently watered it, and put it close to it's papa. I also have another one right next to it, sitting on top of the media, and a third in a dry paper towel, inside a ziplock bag, on the bottom of my plant shelf.

Can you tell I'd really like to get the silly thing cloned? :)

Back