What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project 'blue lagoon'

So there's a member here on TF(zero) that has a ping as his avatar, but modified the colors so that it is blue, which got me thinking...

Remember way back, I mean WAY back, when we were taught that if you put a celery stick in water dyed with food coloring, that you would be able to see it in the 'veins' of the celery stick...

Well I've decided that I am willing to experiment with a couple plants, what effects this might have on them, primarily, on pings.

I'll keep you guys posted if I see any results or if the added dye raises the ppm and kills em... I've sacrificed a p. moranensis(or is it sethos... idk, lack of tagging, bad idea) and have chosen blue as color to start with, and if it works, i'll move to the reds and mix to make purples as well (if all works out).

4 colors(yellow, red, blue, green), 2$+/- at the local grocery store :D

DSCN3664.jpg

LOL That would be neat!

You can do this with Carnation flowers. I think you basically water the pot with colored water and the white flowers turn blue or pink or red or whatever color. I don't know if it affects the photosynthetic parts of the plant though.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4873502_dye-carnation-color-want.html

The link is about dyeing cut Carnation flowers but I've seen live Carnation plants in pots with vibrant blue flowers. I wonder if the color fades from the blooms if you stop watering with the dye?

hmm, imagine if i were to try this on some capensis 'alba' seeds i have going, wouldn'T that be cool, blue tentacles! and flower.

What about using those pings with almost-transparent leaves?Would be cool!!!!!

you willing to send me one ;) lol

Bloke: When it flowers, I'd like to see it. Blue Ping flowers would look awesome!

hmm, imagine if i were to try this on some capensis 'alba' seeds i have going, wouldn'T that be cool, blue tentacles! and flower.

Now that would be cool! Can anyone photoshop (or is it "photochop") a picture of a Drosera Capensis with blue tentacles?

Bloke: How's the project going? Any new updates? :-O

thinking about it, this might not work out the way you'd want to bloke. one reason could possibly be that pings have really shallow roots. water travels up the soil via capillary action, and there's a possibility that the coloring may be absorbed into the soil media before it makes it's way to the roots of the ping. the reason why it works with other plants is because their stems are allowed direct contact to the pigmented water and drawing from it rather by proxy via media as pings do...and everybody knows what happens if you place a mexican ping's leaves in water...

but then again...what do i know. ??? carry on!:bigthumpup:

Bloke: How's the project going? Any new updates? :-O

Nothing new to state, the plant is still doing very well, but however, I think Amphirion will be right with his statement that the substrate might act as a buffer and prevent the dye from reaching the plant itself...

Well, we'll only know in due time! I'd say another month and it'll flower (it's just about that size/age).

o_O Neat idea....Soon we will have blue orange juice. LOLL blue apple... and say no more to green veggie LOLLL.

maybe if you used 100% APS, and topwatered you'd have a idea of whether its possible or not.

( although I doubt it )

The roots will also filter out what the plant doesn't want, IMO.

This might be fun, though!

Nice work herm! That'll be the day eh! genecally modified capensis'... lol

So it's is about to flower, just below a new unfolding leaf is a flower bud, hopefully it will show some blue veining like i hope it should... gimme a week and i'll post some pics.

Back