What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet, another Mexican Ping Question

This winter I've been putting my dormant plants on the window sill. And overall, it has worked out pretty good. However, last night we had a hard freeze (0 degrees F). My VFT was frozen solid, but fortunately my p. laueana was protected by a bell jar. But I am re-evaluating the necessity of a cold dormancy for Mexican Pings. So, I'm putting the question out to those who know more about Mexican Pings than I. Do Mexican Pings really need a cold dormancy? Or do they just need a dry dormancy?

Thanks for your input...

-Hermes.

They shouldn't need a cold dormancy. I keep mine on a shelf under floro lights all year long.

im not going to speak in a "matter of fact" tone, but the fact that they create succulent leaves during their dormancy stage suggest dry.

Mexican pinguicula do not go dormant but rather switch to a succulent stage. I have never heard of the need to decrease, increase or do anything with the temperature. The general rule is when you start to see leaf change to succulent (the leaves will be more tightly packed and will be smaller) then you need to cut back on the water. Just remember, not all pings will go through the succulent phase at the same time, not all will emerge from this phase at the same time and not all of them will even enter it. My P. rectifolia is obviously going through it yet my P. cyclosecta is not.

When my pings are in succulent phase I water once a week. Hope this helps.

Phil

For the lark of it I googled Lake Potosi, Mexico and the weather. Right now they are looking at highs ~70 F and lows of ~40 F. I try to keep my plants on the lowest rack, where the temps are lower. But they get into the 60's at best. I think temperature, along with lower photoperiod and almost no water are all a part of what they experience in the winter.

Back