What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ping starting to flower, what should i do?

i was wondering since venus fllytraps lose energy for traps when flowering, does that also apply to butterworts?
also it looks like it might be dividing

pics:
pingflowerweek1side.jpg

pingflowerweek1top.jpg

just let it flower ;p my ehlersiae flowered 9 times in a 3 week period. it will be fine

My vote is to let it flower. After all, Mexican butterworts are the African Violets of the carnivorous plant world.

Sit back and wait for it to open. The flowers are the main reason people grow these things!

Sit back and wait for it to open. The flowers are the main reason people grow these things!

...and not the easiest to hand-pollinate!

Pollinating Pinguicula Flowers (with photos)

Note:
One of your partners may be infertile. This has developed on several Mexican species that have been in cultivation for too long. The origin of this lack of fertility is unknown and may stem from past mass in vitro cultivation with the use of synthetic hormones. In this case, male and female parts may not be un-functional at the same time so that your plant may still be receptive to the pollen of another species or yield viable pollen while being auto-infertile. One classic example is made by P. esseriana and P. ehlersiae which are non auto-fertile in European collections. However, the 2 can be crossed successfully when the cross is carried in one direction only!

I've never seen this link before! And that answers a question I posted about how long they are viable. I wish the pictures were clearer, though. Just once... I would like to get seeds!

wow thank u guys very much
ill post pics on how it goes

hey i was lookin at my butterwort today and i noticed something from my old cuttings
sorry for the blurry photos, i dont know y its being like that.
so what should i do?
DSC00227.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

hey i was lookin at my butterwort today and i noticed something from my old cuttings
sorry for the blurry photos, i dont know y its being like that.
so what should i do?
DSC00227.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

Those look like baby butterworts. Your cuttings were successful!

YES!!!!! out of 3516513214865 cuttings i took from the original.....2 survived, i wonder why only two tho cuz i had the other cuttings in other pots with the same coco coir and perlite. also how long does it take to have pullings regrow???
so what do i do with those babies?

grow them out...use them for trading material :)

What to do when a ping flowers. Let's see.... According to my sources, you should do the watusi:

59407918_9fd8f476f0.jpg

Failing that, you should let it flower and enjoy.

hahaha
so should i bury the old ping and put the new growth on top of the soil, or should i just leave it alone?

You can place the cutting next to the parent plant and it should do just fine. Or you can make up a new pot for it. Either way works.

How about you let me have it?

I want to make a bog garden now haha! and have some you know whats next to it.

Back