What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does anyone use this in there ping mixes?

garden gypsum? It's in a pellet form so I don't know if it needs to be dissolved first. It hasn't killed my P. moctezumea yet:)
PIC
gypsum.jpg

thanks,
Zero

I just use powered stuff. Pellets would probably be better as it would rinse out slowly if you top water. How big are the pellets?

I'm not sure if the addition of gypsum would work well with straight up P. moctezumae. I tried more of a mineral mix, one that is alkaline with them and they slowly died out. I was given more and it was suggested that I use LFS instead. Now they flourish.

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

This is the size of the pellets .
jimscott, That's funny because moctezumea is one of the pings I used it with and they are doing well so far.
PIC
gypsum-1.jpg

Peace,
Zero

The hobbyist who sent me th species originally told me to try the LFS. It's working. It was the mineral mix that failed for me, but then again, I wasn't using gypsum, either.

Yeah, it was a mineral mix that also killed my P. moctezumea. Hmmm...

Does P. moctezumea need a mineral substrate?

IDK. All I know is that growing it in LFS has been a good thing. They've been flowering non-stop and putting out new leaves. So for me, if it aint broke....

im using peat. [;

so gypsum should be ok to use, right?

Do you more than one plant? Try an experiment.

Calcium carbonate is found in limestone, crush coral and eggshells. = CaCO3
Gypsum = CaSO4·2H2O

Unfortunately for me and my plant, the egg shells and crushed coral, mixed with peat, sand, and perlite didn't work. That does marvelously well for just about everything else Mexican.

i thought for sure by now the APS crave would have converted people...

100% APS works like a charm... has anyone tried it and not had success? seems like an easy win for pings all around...

i thought for sure by now the APS crave would have converted people...

100% APS works like a charm... has anyone tried it and not had success? seems like an easy win for pings all around...

Interesting.

I guess I could reverse the question and ask how many people have tried it !?! What species and hybrids have you grown in it out of curiosity? Do you use APS as the only media? Or in an inorganic media with sand, pumice/perlite etc? Is it in a powder form or granular/pellets?

I grow my plants in a sand/pumcie/vermiculite mix (around 30 or so species and hybrids with OK success). I would be more than keen to get away from the vermiculite in my mix and I am looking for something which holds a bit more water. APS may be wroth a try.

Thanks in advance for you repsonse.

I have this garden gypsum in this pot of Pinguicula moctezumae. They seem to be happy. The soil is APS, pool filter sand, and garden gypsum.
moct.jpg

While we are on the subject, how about crushed oyster shell?

I have a big bag that's been in the barn for years, Ive been using in my Trichocereus cacti mix.. but havent made a dent in the bag yet

Av

Why not! Should be the same concept.

Back