What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another fake 'Wesser'

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
I got this Pinguicula labeled as P. 'Wesser'. It flowered. Verdict: another "fake" 'Wesser'

P4060071.jpg

P4060074.jpg

Compare with the real deal:
http://wjclemens.com/cp_standards/pinguicula/Weser_Sethos/Weser_Sethos.htm
http://www.vicbrown.cpuk.org/images/Pinguicula/Weser1.jpg

Hey Number,

Excuse my ignorance on pings, which I freely admit that really don't know much about at all. But I too have received a p. 'wesser'. How does one discern a real p. 'wesser' from a fake?

Thanks...

-Hermes.

Considering there's so much diversity among moranensis flowers, wouldn't it be possible (or probable), that even though you were to cross a moranensis with an ehlersiae(and vice versa), there naturally would be genetic diversity between siblings when it comes to flower morphology?

9 times out of 10, if a plant is of questionable origin, the flower will discern and conclude/ refute what the plant really is. In this case for example the white inner parts of the petals are not identical to 'Wesser' which lacks this trait. You just have to know what the real deal looks like and compare to what you have.
I'm sure NaN can give you more details about this one though then I can Hermo, I'm like you and have little knowledge about Pings.

Considering there's so much diversity among moranensis flowers, wouldn't it be possible (or probable), that even though you were to cross a moranensis with an ehlersiae(and vice versa), there naturally would be genetic diversity between siblings when it comes to flower morphology?

Ya Bloke, basically a bell curve.

P. 'Sethos' and P. 'Wesser' are clones of specific plants from one pair of plants. Read Slack's description of them:

"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star; [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather similar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

These traits are stable with clones of the original two plants. Simply crossing P. moranensis and P. ehlersiae is not going to yield either P. 'Sethos' or P. 'Wesser'.

Compare to the flower of a Pinguicula I received labeled as P. morranensis x ehlersiae a few years ago:
fake_weser.jpg

I got mine from Pinguiculaman, so mine's gotta be the real deal. Mine have never flowered, though, so...

jim,
is that the weser I have?

It looks like one of the common fakes we see in the UK.

See Bob's photo finder for P. 'Weser' photos, in particular, the jimfoxy URL link a few lines down: http://www.cpphotofinder.com/pinguicula-weser-3877.html

I have actually discovered the original slides taken by Slack defining 'Weser' and 'Sephos' but not the actual slide reproduced in his book. I have been persuading the owner to release better reproduction of these originals but it is not his priority at the moment. I have at least persuaded him to scan them as a backup.

jim,
is that the weser I have?

Yes. I haven't seen Lowes carry any Mexican butterworts at all, nor have I traded to receive others.

Back