What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Lil Ping

That is soooooooo awesome

suite

what substrat ?

can you tell us your dormance method ?

jeff

It seems these plants grow in pine/oak forests in situ.

I prefer to grow them in an all mineral mix with locally obtained ingredients, that tend to lend more of an alkaline pH to the mix.

As fas as their dormancy is concerned, mine are grown indoors under lights and their growing media is kept bone dry throughout their dormancy period.

dvg

suite

excellent your substrat .

this specie is may be under a pine/oak forest but clearly in a gypsum substrat like you see here
medusina.jpg

for my part I grow this specie in this substrat : pur gypsum/river sand 50/50

my problem the dormance , and particularly the perenity on several year , if you have some solution I would love to know

also on the transplanting and the growing's perenity to the keikis

jeff

excellent your substrat .

my problem the dormance , and particularly the perenity on several year , if you have some solution I would love to know

also on the transplanting and the growing's perenity to the keikis

jeff

Jeff, that's an interesting question about the plantlets from this species.

Here are some P. heterophylla plantlets from leaf pullings taken Oct. 1 of last month.

IMG_0076-Pheterophyllapullings.jpg

You'll notice that there are a variety of plantlet sizes, and i'm curious as to how the smaller ones will continue to grow, or if they will cease growth at a smaller size, only to make small dormant bulbs.

If that is the case, the smaller ones may prove to be harder to coax through their resting phase and into their next active cycle.

IMG_0119-Pheterophylla.jpg

In the meantime though, i've been making sure these plantlets are well fed, in the hopes of encouraging as much growth as possible for this current growth cycle.

dvg

Interesting, very interesting indeed.

Bonjour

gives us some regular news, to know their growth cycle and perenniality as your culture condition

merci

jeff

These plants are just about to go into dormancy.

They've discontinued all new growth, and their watering has been cut right back.

Some of the gravel was moved away from the base of the plants to better show the bulbs that these plants retreat back into during their dormancy period.

IMG_0215-Pheterophylla.jpg

IMG_0198-Phetrerophylla.jpg

dvg

Very cool dvg. About how long were these plants in their growing season?

Thanks Drew, i think they started growing again in mid August or thereabouts.

dvg

Here's an update on these P. heterophylla leaf pullings.

The leaves were pulled on Oct. 1, and only two months later, these plantlets are growing quite quickly on their own roots.

IMG_0339-Pheterophylla.jpg

Some of the larger clumps of these are already putting out the mature summer-type leaves, with the smaller plantlets getting ready to start theirs as well.

IMG_0360-Pheterophylla.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see how large of a bulb these plants will be able to produce before they go dormant, but in the meantime they are being heavily fed and are also being kept on the damp and humid side.

dvg

Awesome lil buggers!

smiley5982.gif

Okay, almost a month later and these plantlets from pullings are still growing quite well on top of their 7" diameter pot.

IMG_1380-P-heterophylla-pullings.jpg

As long as they continue to put out new growth, they'll be kept in the same growing conditions.

dvg

That looks awesome!

suite

very very impressive .

no still in dormancy ?

jeff

Jeff, the plantlets are still growing rapidly and still continuing to put up new growth.

Once the plantlets stop putting up new leaves, i'll let the media dry out and allow the plants to go into dormancy.

The parent plants that the leaf pulls were taken from are now completely dormant.

dvg

very very good infos DVG

These two dormant bulbs have finally started to awaken and appear to each be pushing out a flower.

IMG_3168-P-heterophylla-July-6-2012.jpg

I tried to force these into active growth by wetting their growing medium a few months back, but it didn't work out at all.

IMG_3183-P-heterophylla-July-6-2012.jpg

I then allowed the media to completely dry out and waited for them to resume growing again, once they were ready.

IMG_3149-P-heterophylla-AW-July-5-2012.jpg

dvg

What kind of soil is that?

It's a pure mineral mix, and i mean 'pure' - it has zero organic components in it.

dvg

Back