What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to make a ping set up, and I've got some questions...

Chomp

Oops
So I want to put a small tank with some pings in my room. I've been thinking about using a growlight, maybe a 10gal, with spag moss. anything you see that will make them all shrivel up? And any suggestions as to what pings to put in?

I have all mine under the tray method. I know most people will tell you not too but that is how I have been growing them for 2 years now. I use a very open mix (right out of the Savage Garden), So maybe this is why my pings have not kicked the bucket ???. Anyway here is a pic of my 10 gal setup.

ping+_amp_+dew+terrarium+4-3-10.jpg

Ahh... That's right. I forget I have that book some times. Always helps when I do use it. There's a guy whose user name is PeterD. on the forum. Is he the real guy?
And would spag kill them?

I don't use LFS so I don't know. I do know that Peter has changed all his Pings to a mix with sphag. I don't know if it's just a top dressing or the whole mix.

I've got several of the easier pings growing in my homemade terrarium. They seem to be doing fine, and I've had them for around a year.

dsci0001yk.jpg

dsci0002ci.jpg

dsci0495.jpg

It has 3 120 watt equivalent CFB sitting on top. I wouldn’t use a fish tank, as I’ve found it tends to have too much humidity and promotes mold. These guys are doing fine with only maybe 60% humidity. I have some of the sprouts planted in a plain 2:1 sand peat mixture and the rest are in the standard soil they came in. I have some P. moranensis "J" and a P. laueana growing in there. I find both are realatively easy to grow, and dromancy has yet to cause a problem for me. And the purples and reds in the flowers are quite impressive.

Cool. I ordered a launa from a websight once. They were out of stock, said they would get one to me once they restocked; when I looked at the sight about a month later, they didn't sell it anymore. It's been about two months now, and I'm assuming that they forgot. The real problem is that I lost the paper that confirmed my order and stuff. It makes me upset too; it was overpriced at like $20. Do you know how tight money is for me right now?!?! 15 bucks a month!!!

They do pretty well like this:

Picture005-7.jpg

At the time, I was using a mix of perlite, sand, crushed coral, and egg shells. I recently switched to APS. It seems that they can do well in a variety of setups and mixes.

Back