User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Pinguicula moctezumae is confused...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew, nice pic. From your pic it doesn't look as dire as it seemed by written description. Only a few leaves are wilting, those that have been overfed. If you spritz some of the extra food from the leaves, that should slow down the progress, likely reversing the over-balance of fertilizer. You have a few clumps of fertilizer on some leaves that appear to be dessicating the leaves they are on. It happens - I like to spritz those oversized clumps off the leaves as soon as they happen, to help prevent this happening.

Despite the damage, your plant will likely soon have a growth spurt from the fertilizing and grow several nice new leaves.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a relief!! Well, I suppose the change happened so quickly that I assumed the worst. It was literally overnight! So the plant is overfed, eh? Thanks for clearing that up. I'll give it a little spritz.

That long awaited growth spurt is exactly why I've been feeding this plant so much (too much, apparently!!). Those short leaves at the center of the rosette have been that way basically for as long as I've had the plant. You can see from the pic on my first post that it hasn't changed much at all. I hope it's right around the corner. This guy has what must be the Pinguicula equivalent of constipation.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-13-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this species liked alkaline soil. You might want to check that out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, thanks. What would I need to add to achieve this pH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Research it first. You would need Gypsum and possibly vermiculite.

If you can't find them, I have them here and could send you some.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/lofiv...hp/t32964.html

I actually think some calcium carbonate is what you want. Maybe gypsum will work? No clue!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crushed coral in the mix also works. I used to have a mix of perlite, coral, eggshells, sand, and peat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at one of my earlier posts in this thread (Post #8) you will see a photo showing a plastic shoebox size tray, full of this species. All of those plants are planted in a mixture of APS (Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil) and rinsed silica sand. Usually I kept this tray full of water - this is a rare moment when the tray has only a very little water in it, but the pots have not dried out. If you decide to grow yours wet, don't forget to balance the extra moisture with lots of light.

My experience is that this species does not seem to benefit from free calcium in its substrate - I tried growing some of these with various calcium-rich media ingredients added, such as gypsum, coral sand, and ground shellfish shell. All plants of this species grown with additions of these media, grew less vigorously than those without. They will grow in sphagnum peat moss, but the peat moss decomposes quickly and must be replaced often.

Pinguicula moctezumae does not appear to be a heterophyllous growth type species, only a homophyllous growth type. Though mine tolerate short periods of being almost dry, they never change their growth habit.

My epiphany:
    Those Pinguicula from truly temperate climates, some are even boreal, that form Winter hybernacula, exhibit a complete and true dormancy. As I understand dormancy, it is a period of suspended growth (true dormancy = a period of virtually no growth). Perhaps the heterophyllous group of Pinguicula could be said to have a Winter period of semi-dormancy, because, even those that form bulb-like Winter growth, are still continuing to grow more of their smaller, scale-like succulent leaves. Most, if not all of these species even bloom from their supposedly "dormant" state. Yet none of the Mexican species actually cease growing, so despite several books having been written, incorrectly describing the Winter state of heterophyllous Mexican Pinguicula species as "dormancy", there is no true dormancy, only perhaps semi-dormancy.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-13-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: N. A.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all great information - I'm well armed now!

In other news, CHECK IT OUT! I took two leaf pullings yesterday so the plant might be looking a bit scant... but I do believe I see the beginnings of a flower scape forming in the center of the plant!!

What do you think? The plant looks mighty gnarly but I'm certainly encouraged by this new growth.

As far as the media is concerned, it's about equal parts peat, sand, and vermiculite with a top dressing of LFS.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast