User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Pinguicula moctezumae is confused...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Pinguicula moctezumae is confused...

Hi everyone -

I got this P. moctezumae about a month and a half ago from an online vendor. It came growing in LFS, and I decided not to repot it into a different medium based on the experiences of some members on this board.

However, since I got my plant, it hasn't grown at all. It also hasn't produced any flower stalks.

I have it growing in my grow rack which maintains temperatures of around 70 degrees at night and 85 or so during the day. Humidity swings between 55% at night and 80% overnight. I'm watering it using pure RO water on the tray method, and I mist it every two or three days. As for lighting, it's under 4x 32-watt 48" T5 bulbs - a mixture of 2x Zoo Med Flora Sun grow bulbs and 2x GE cool white (4100K) bulbs.

Am I missing something here? I've read that the plant should do pretty well under these conditions. Then again, I'm just a n00b!

Is it in its non-carnivorous winter phase? Can any of you tell by looking at the leaves (see below), because I haven't been growing CPs long enough to see a ping in its succulent state.

Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-08-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be in transition. I would try feeding it since it still has carnivorous leaves.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How close to those lights is it?
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try 4" above the leaves and give it time to adjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants are all about 8" below the lights, but I found an empty box to stick under the tray that my pings are in, so I raised my moctezumae along with my primuliflora up to about 4" under the lights as you suggested.

I noticed that one of the leaves is starting to turn brown on the end. You can't really make it out on the picture above--my iPhone doesn't really capture the details like I would hope; I should take some shots with my standard digital camera...

Anyway, is browning at the tips a natural reaction to the changing conditions--the vendor to me via USPS, then to my original makeshift grow rack with insufficient light, and finally to my upgraded grow rack with proper lighting, temperature, and humidity--or might it indicate something I should be more concerned about? Of course this is a broad question, I know, but... it seems like it's living in conditions that have worked for other growers, so I'm concerned that I'm missing something - especially since it hasn't grown at all or produced any flowers in the 2 or so months that I've had it (although I suppose the fact that it's still alive at all should be taken as a good sign considering my level of expertise!).

Thanks again

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The browning along the tips seems to be a natural occurrence for mine but at the same time it is usually producing new leaves and a flower once the older leaves and flower start to die off.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this species more challenging than most of the other Mexican species. I had more success with it in LFS than anything else. Right now my own plants look like they want to be in a resting state. Their leaves are at the surface, as opposed to being a few inches long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is your photoperiod? I recommend a long photoperiod (as much as 24 hours per day) if you want vigorous growth. Also I recommend positioning the leaves as close to the lamps as possible (within an inch or so, only lowering a plant with a flower in order to protect the growing inflorescence). Feed with a little dried insect dust and/or a light misting of very dilute fertilizer solution. And too, don't neglect keeping it well watered in these conditions -- everything must be kept in good balance for success.

Here is a photo, illustrating how this species can be grown in the above conditions -->

One exception is that these plants are planted in all-mineral media (to help more easily maintaintain a healthy root environment while maintaining high moisture levels). I began with only one plant - these were propagated by leaf-pullings.

By the way, they grow like this year-'round, but mostly bloom once they start getting cooler nights.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-08-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast