What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuzzy Fungus in my Ping

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Hey Y'all -

I have a P. Esseriana that I got a week or two ago. I got it bare root, and a few days after I potted it up, a fuzzy moldy-looking thing developed on the surface of the media. Mr. SDCPs tells me it's damping off fungus.

I took his advice and let the media dry up a little - I haven't watered it in a week. However, I peeked into my grow rack this morning and found the fungus to be worse than ever.

I already scooped out some fungus-ridden media but the fungus grew back. I've been careful to remove dead plant matter so it doesn't rot.

I have two questions:

1) is it time to try some fungicide? I have Safer brand sulfur-based fungicide.

2) I've read that a natural remedy for damping off fungus is to boil some cloves of garlic in water and spray it on the soil. I just prepared some (using RO water of course) and it's cooling right now. The oil in the garlic is supposed to act as a natural fungicide. Would you recommend I try that first?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's what the fungus looks like:

photo.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I did check out other threads with a search, but they were years old and had few answers, so I figured I'd ask again.

Cinnamon sprinkled is another thing. More light and less moisture also helps.

Hey, nice. Loving these kitchen remedies. So you think I should go ahead and try it? Nothing about this garlic water will be offensive to my pings, right?

I'm afraid I'm stuck with the amount of light I have. But I can control the moisture, of course. I'm liking the cinnamon idea because I don't need to add water! So just put a light dusting on the soil? On the plants too? And should I water it in?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Garlic is high in sulfur so that's where the anti-fungal properties come from. Next time sterilize your mix with a 10% bleach solution. Let sit for 20-30 minutes, rinse well, and let it sit overnight before potting.

It's not unusual for peat moss or long fiber sphagnum to bloom with a white thready fuzz. Most of the times it clears up on its own after a week or so with no lingering effects.

So I did a very light dusting of cinnamon and watered it in with some garlic water. All I need now is a little eye of newt, perhaps kidney of iguana, and I'll have an excellent anti-zombie potion lol.

Now I'm just going to let it dry up again and leave it alone!

Yeah, next time I repot or plant anything I'm definitely going to rinse and sterilize my media. I haven't done that ever before and all of my pots have at least a little algae in them--or worse, fungus in this case! Ah well, every n00b like myself must come to this realization eventually.

I don't think ya need to water the cinnamon.

You mean it won't sprout plantlets?? :-))

I encourage that kind of fungus bloom with all my CP. I use Trichoderma harzianum Rifai strain KRL-AG2 (RootShield®). This fungus is awesome.

I encourage that kind of fungus bloom with all my CP.

Wh-wh-whaaat? Please explain! Am I to understand that damping off fungus the same stuff that they sell as RootShield?

Damping-off is actually caused by many different organizms, damping-off. Trichoderma harzianum Rifai strain KRL-AG2 (RootShield®). This fungus is awesome - it does a pretty good job protecting plants from organizms that would otherwise cause problems. You should read about how it works --> (RootShield®)

Just because you can see visible fungal hyphae, does not necessarily mean you have a pathological organizm, micro-flora are quite dynamic.

Back