Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Cutting Woe

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf Cutting Woe

For the most part, Mexican ping leaf cuttings are easy. The most difficult one to sprout hd been P. gypsicola... and even then I can get a few to do so. However, my attempts with P. laueana & P. colimensis have been 100% failures. If anybody has some surefire ways, like the Ferengi, "I'm all ears".
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-15-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: tweak of name "laueana"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My attempts with lauanea have been 100%, I find that a medium of sand, perlite, and LFS kept wet works wonders, peat based mixes cause them to rot.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimscott,

It sounds to me, like a real mystery. The first Mexican Pinguicula that I remember doing leaf-pulling progagation with, was Pinguicula gypsicola. I usually have some degree of success when propagating this species (I usueally get at least a few plantlets), except when I tried keeping them damp. When damp they all quickly rotted, though some were successful using damp LFS. When setting leaf-pullings on dry paper towels or even just plastic cups or other containers, kept dry but humid, there was usually great success.

For me Pinguicula laueana responds to leaf-pulling propagation as well, or better than any of the other Mexican species and hybrids - so it is certainly a mystery why you are having such difficulty. I haven't yet had the pleasure of growing Pinguicula colimensis, so I can't yet comment on that species.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using APS and the media is dry.... and so is the air. I can provide a relatively dry media with the pots suspended and water underneath, so it provides a little more humidity.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a lightly damp meadia, cure {let exposed to air}the leaf pulling at least 24 hrs
    then put a thin layer layer(approximately 1/4 inch) of NZLFSM
    jest barely insert the cured end of the pulling under the LFSM
    This works best if the remainder of the leaf doesn't touch the sphagnum Place in a plastic bag close the bag check the pot every 3 or 4 day. when the plantlets start to form begin reducing the humidity
    Open the bag a litte more every couple of days to reduce the humidity,Until the plant is at room temp and humidity.
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the baggie method before, though not with LFS. I mainly insert the basal portion in amost dry media, exposed to the air. Thanks for the guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm making my first attempt at propagating a ping using the method described on the ICPS website - pure, damp vermiculite. I just have the pot sitting in a tray of water next to several other plants. The top is covered with a little clear plastic cup. Because vermiculite is so loose it drains pretty well, so what I'm left with is slightly damp media and very humid air.

I'll keep you posted on my success with this method, but don't hold your breath!!

EDIT: nevermind, ICPS recommends using a mix of perlite and vermiculite. I forget where I read about pure vermiculite, but I'm doing it anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    I'm making my first attempt at propagating a ping using the method described on the ICPS website - pure, damp vermiculite. I just have the pot sitting in a tray of water next to several other plants. The top is covered with a little clear plastic cup. Because vermiculite is so loose it drains pretty well, so what I'm left with is slightly damp media and very humid air.

I'll keep you posted on my success with this method, but don't hold your breath!!

EDIT: nevermind, ICPS recommends using a mix of perlite and vermiculite. I forget where I read about pure vermiculite, but I'm doing it anyway!

I worked in a botanic garden for several years, and the head indoor horticulturalist swore by this method. The Propagation house, which was where he did most of his work, was pretty much entirely trays of Perlite with little twigs or leaves in them.

Best of luck!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast