Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unidentified ping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unidentified ping

hello iv got last week 2 Pinguicula and i don't really know their spices
    i thought to drop some pics on here, maybe you can help me to identify them.

the first one:

the second one:
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-26-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome shinsuko.

I can be fairly certain they are tropical species or hybrids from near the equator in the Western hemisphere, probably Mexico.

Many of these Pinguicula, especially when grown in lower than optimal light levels become lest distinct. They lose some of the distinguishing morphological characteristics of their non-reproductive parts. The flowers usually are the part of the plant less affected by changes in its environment - so they are usually the best way to identify Pinguicula, especially in these situations. However, some species respond to less-than-optimal conditions by refusing to bloom.

Your best chance of identifying these plants is to learn how to provide them a better environment, then waiting for them to bloom and/or grow to look more distinctive.

Under the circumstances, with the plants looking light-starved and somewhat etiolated, I would guess that the first one might be P. moranensis or derived from a P. moranensis hybrid, and the second one may be P. agnata, P. esseriana, or even P. ehlersiae. But these are only guesses, especially since neither plant is in bloom, right now.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for reply.
    they are located in terrarium which i builded out of aquarium. I made good circulation of air
    and some other modifications for stable 80% humidity and the temp is also stable at 24-25 at day and 20-21 at night
    i am putting those plants on light circulation of 12h light and 12h dark and i and my dump head some how where be able to construct lower watering system non automatic(dont trust those)
    i have small problem about light which is less then what i think is needed so i'm going to construct 50w white
    led on the top (50w led is scary thing, that thing can light a big room much more then needed.).

well those plants are living with D.capnesis in the terra and they all look happy like in nature.
    the one you said that may be P. moranensis opened fully in only 2 and half days those 2 new leafs
    which in the pic above and started to open the 3th leaf and the 4 already visible.
    the smaller plant harder to trace if he growing or not so no idia about him
    and the D. capnesis is also in the same pace as my big Pinguicula.

I'm bit worried about their food, from what i saw its needed for a good progress.
    my big Ping and the D. capnesis is juicy like they should from the humidity so no problem feeding them
    once a week, the food will stick. the smaller Ping is not giving any glue, it have some minimal glue amount on
    its leafs but not enough for a live food, should i kill the food before giving to the ping ?
    Last edited by shinsuko; 12-29-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to food, both your butterwort and sundew will gladly eat freezed dried bloodworms, pulverized into a powder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for reply jimscott.
    as for freezed dried bloodworms i have no idia where to buy, i have been in some petshops
    and found nothing. you have idia where else i may find those dried bloodworms ?
    and if ill find some to buy, i just put abit powder on one leaf and so on once a week ? or ..?

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant in the second photo looks a lot like my P. esseriana when it was in its succulent stage, but with less leaves at the base of the plant... so if that's the case, it would explain why there is no dew on the plant, as it is in its succulent phase.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various other high protein, dry ingredients usually sold as tropical fish food (18% protein, or more) are similarly suitable for feeding Pinguicula. I've also used freeze-dried tubifex worms, and high protein flake fish food. I simply grind it to a powder before giving it to the plants, also be very stingy (it only takes a very little bit per feeding), too much can damage the leaves. I also use insects I've trapped with an electronic insect trap, then I dry and grind the insects to a powder, store them in old medicine bottles and use them as I need them. Important, especially when feeding, is a high level of PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). The plants can use remarkably high light levels, as long as temperatures don't get too high and cook the plants.

More detailed information on growing Mexican Pinguicula can be found here and here. Also another good site for in-depth information is pinguicula.org.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the first is likely a P. 'Titan', and the second P. ehlersiae. Hard to say with out them being in prime condition and without flowers...
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-29-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast