What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Mode

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
100_8796.jpg
P. gypsicola

100_8750.jpg
P. colimensis

100_8749.jpg
P. laueana

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that P. laueana !! I decided to bring mine out of dormancy a month early.. started watering everyone last night.

so just to clarify---for myself that is, mexicans need cool dry dormancies like petiolaris dews?

My P. laueana never went dormant......although I've been keeping it wet year round, so perhaps that's why.....???

Nice shots Jim!

so just to clarify---for myself that is, mexicans need cool dry dormancies like petiolaris dews?

They do not need this but it is one way to grow them and this does appear to promote the Winter state of growth normal in the wild. At least some species can be grown wet all year around providing they are given good light levels and, probably, warmth.

LOL! i hope those plants grace me with flowers!

yeah that's why it never went dormant, the dry period is what initiates the dormancy

Contrary to popular opinion (and the authors of several books), Mexican Pinguicula do not go dormant. Dormancy is when a plant ceases growth - like deciduous trees in Winter. Mexican Pinguicula change leaf forms, it's why they're called heterophyllous, but they do not cease growing new leaves. Many species even bloom in their Winter leaf form. Blooming is not an indicator of dormancy.

I grew all of my Mexican Pinguicula species and hybrids in wet conditions, year-'round, for more than five consecutive years, without any adverse consequences. Rather several positive consequences. I still recommend my favorite growing method --> Growing Mexican Pinguicula.
For most species and hybrids, the most important environmental factor that stimulates blooming, is a wintertime drop in nighttime temperatures, into the 60's, 50's, or 40's Fahrenheit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pinguicula laueana is a very attractive plant even when it isn't in bloom. Here's one in Winter leaf form (not dormant). In the top center of the photo, an aerial root is visible poking out from between Winter leaves.

P_laueana_web.jpg

Last edited:
i stand corrected....let me rephrase: so the succulent/winter form is triggered by cool dry weather?

Yes. Mostly triggered by those factors, but I've kept them wet, warm, and well-lit and still had some grow Winter leaves.

However, I am open to discussion on the "dormancy" issue. Though I am mostly influenced by obvious hard evidence. In other words, show-me a "dormant" plant, and I will entertain the notion that these plants can be dormant.

They do keep producing new leaves, just not the longer leaves, with the "grease". Same plants, earlier in the year:

Picture015-6.jpg

Picture.jpg

Picture051-2.jpg

Picture065-1.jpg
Late summer

Picture013.jpg

Picture048-2.jpg
Spring

Picture058.jpg
Winter

suite

for the temperate there are a dormancy period .

for the mexicaine it is a sort of dormancy , in reality a phase of reaction to hot periods.
there is always a period to forming succulent or arachnoides leaves without mucilage but no possibility for them to catch prey and to digest
The plant lives on its reserves (juice and water) .

Sometimes they will make up "hibernaculum" or onions in these case it seems to me it is a real dormancy .

here a P. heterophylla and P. macrophylla"hibernaculum"
heterophylla.JPG

macrophylla.jpg

a P. medusina onion
medusinae.JPG

jeff

K Guys,
I just received my first P. laueana in the mail today, and it is gorgeous!
Now what? It looks to be in it's dormant stage and it has beautiful color so anybody have any tips I can at least start out with? Do I need to repot it now ( dumb question, I'll let it sit for a while).
So again, any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Marian (twotut)

Perhaps you may wish to read my post on growing these plants. One link is in my signature.

it is possible to repot , at this stade( succulent) you can make leaves cutting also

for laueana a mineral alcalin substrate will be a good choice for the rest it depends to your culture conditions outdoor or indoor .

my laueana pot

lgrf.JPG

succulent but also in flower

jeff

my growlist
my web page

Last edited:
I have my plant at a sunny but coolish, south-facing window sill, in aquatic plant soil.

Back