What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new seeds and bloom ? Oo

well i just finished my first test with my germination box i made, the 2 X 65W fluorescent blubs where Epic fail since the temp gone wild to 35+ after a couple of hours and the humidity dropped to 50. i gave the box to cool down and replaced my 2 X 65W fluorescent blubs on 2 X 40W weaker ones and drilled another couple of holes for good air circulation.

I will post some pictures i took, they taken just before the second run test.

the box from the outside:
new21111072.jpg

the cover with reflecting cover with light reflecting cover:
new21111073.jpg

a few pics from the inside of the box, note the holes on the sides for the air circulation
and the holes in the soil boxes for lower watering, and if anyone wants to know
the soil going to be about 10cm distance from the bulbs:
new21111074.jpg

new21111075.jpg

new21111077.jpg

the humidity meter i use for that box:
new21111079.jpg

the box as a complete and after turning it on in a dark room:
new21111083.jpg

new21111084.jpg

so for now i have to wait another few hours to find how stable the conditions in it.

I have a few questions that may help me to understand what to improve next.
First, if it was in full working condition with 1-2cm water on the bottom of the box and soil in the soil boxes do the humidity and the temp will improve on some proportion ?

Second question is if there is a need for another fan in the box for the out-take? since the only fan on the box is in-take, tho i can use some interesting thing i made to switch the fan direction after some time.

Last question is if there is a need to drill another couple of holes for the air circulation? or not to add since it may be to much or its better off to add another fan and such.

You might consider mounting your secondary ventilation fan, on the cover (perhaps near the center), pulling the heated air, up and out.

You might consider mounting your secondary ventilation fan, on the cover (perhaps near the center), pulling the heated air, up and out.

Done it and the 3th test was perfect, only the humidity was down abit and its not good enough
so i made a desert air conditioner style humidifier, under the side fan i made small water poll
and made cage for the fan and soaked a piece of clothing in the water and mounted it on the
fan cage so the air intake will be tho the soaked clothing, its sounds weird but its works
now i'm running the 4th test with the self made humidifier and then if the result will be
80?% min humidity with 21 to 26 stable temp then ill put the soil and the water.

i have one final question, the seeds, how do i put them in the soil ?
from above and press gently ? or just put it above to absorb light and some heat?

Most CP seed are sown on the surface of moist/wet media. Seed can also be sown on the surface of water, then transferred to media once they germinate. One thing to watch out for is getting the seed covered by media. It seems that this becomes a problem for many CP seed. Apparently they germinate best when exposed to air and light.

Joseph first of all thanks for all the info and help ^.^
second, the seeds are so tiny and its hard to handle them gently without messing all around
so i made the best i could, i used clean glove(the one's that doctors use) and i took seed by seed with my finger and dropped them gently on the moist media(when i first filled the boxes with soil i waited for the soil to become moist before sowing) with some distance form each other.
is that ok ? i mean i afraid to do more since they so tiny, i cant even see them after i dropped them.
and how much hours of light the seed needs ?

I should have mentioned that I usually only sow about 1/2 of the seed in the first sowing (in case something goes wrong). That way there are more seeds to try again. But I do sometimes just sow it all at the same time. For germinating seed, 24 hour of continuous light can be beneficial.

Once the seed begins to germinate I often transplant them to individual pots using a dissecting needle and a magnifying lens. They usually grow faster without competition.

From your description it sounds like you did just fine.

second, the seeds are so tiny and its hard to handle them gently without messing all around
so i made the best i could, i used clean glove(the one's that doctors use) and i took seed by seed with my finger and dropped them gently on the moist media

I do sowing this way with very small seeds like Drosera:

1. Take a piece of white paper
2. Fold a sharp fold and unfold
3. Open the seed packet holding it above the paper and pouring the seeds on the paper (as much as I want to sow)
4. Fold paper again and hold it above the surface of the prepared pot, slightly downward to the soil
5. Sow by tapping gently on the paper, so the seeds are pouring out the paper fold and on the soil.

i already sowed all my seeds in those boxes and now all i have to do is to wait, prey, and look from time to time that the big box have enough water on the bottom. i hope to see something next month with magnifying lens.
and again thanks to all of you for the info and support.

next month i'll bring another ultrasonic fogger for additional humidity and i wanted to ask
so i heard that GA3 something acid is a good thing to help seeds to germinate, is that true ? anyone here used that before?

next month i'll bring another ultrasonic fogger for additional humidity

Don't overdo!

i heard that GA3 something acid is a good thing to help seeds to germinate, is that true ?

Depends on.

If you have seeds with normal germination, that will germinate easily when sown on moist substrate and given proper lighting and temperature, then GA3 will be something between useless or harmful or prevent all germination.

If you have seeds that require a special treatment before germinating well, such like cold treatment, heat treatment or smoke treatment, then you can replace the special treatment of any kind with proper GA3 treatment instead.

GA3 is no replacement for inadequate growing conditions, it just can help the seeds out of the shell if the artificial germinating conditions are not like natural germinating conditions.

Don't overdo!

Depends on.

If you have seeds with normal germination, that will germinate easily when sown on moist substrate and given proper lighting and temperature, then GA3 will be something between useless or harmful or prevent all germination.

If you have seeds that require a special treatment before germinating well, such like cold treatment, heat treatment or smoke treatment, then you can replace the special treatment of any kind with proper GA3 treatment instead.

GA3 is no replacement for inadequate growing conditions, it just can help the seeds out of the shell if the artificial germinating conditions are not like natural germinating conditions.

first of all im not, its for my germination box the first fogger is in my terra and the second will be in the germination box =P

and i see thanks for the info ^_^

Sorry for the Double post but my ping bloomed FINALLY
and finally i know what kind i have =P
here some photos:

Bloom1.jpg

Bloom2.jpg

Bloom.jpg

what do you think ? ^.^
oh by the way i see another forming of flower bud in the middle of my ping, i will have 2 flowers ;D
*happy*

Back