Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First species to recover from neglect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First species to recover from neglect

Curiously enough, two species that have responded most quickly to the return of normal growing conditions, after almost four years of nearly total dryness.

Their names are spelled and sound similar, but they are entirely different in appearance.

Pinguicula rectifolia -->

and Pinguicula reticulata -->
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news!! They look marvelous!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What she said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another couple that are coming along nicely -->

The Pinguicula gypsicola, below is just now growing into its winter rosette.

Some varieties of Pinguicula seem to be so prolific (via intrinsic vegetative modes), that it seems difficult to maintain one plant to one pot. Pingiucula gracilis, Pinguicula reticulata, Pinguicula esseriana, and Pinguicula rotundiflora seem to be particularly noteworthy for this behavior.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-20-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my P. gracilis is initiating a flower scape. I haven't seen that in a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting how Pinguicula gracilis has such a cute little white flower, but when it is crossed with other species the flowers are almost always more significant (larger and more colorful, too). For a smaller species it is good that it has such strong, natural, clump forming abilities.

I find it interesting that my penchant for propagating my plants, like crazy, has been a good help for maintaining some of them through these past four years of unintended neglect. Just four years before I had at least twelve pots of almost every different tropical Pinguicula that I was growing, at the time. Most of them were started with just a single original plant/propagule. I developed a habit for vegetativley propagating them nearly every time I picked up a healthy pot with plant(s). I miss those that didn't make it through these past four years, but I certainly enjoy growing those that made it. And it is nice to see the survivors rocket back to full health, even if they only, now occupy a single pot, where once there were many. The natural clump-forming behavior of some, is definitely tempting me to again get busy and propagate.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-21-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you began to water them like you did normally, did you do it gradually? Or was it just a jump back to the previous normality? I'm curious about your procedure and method, would you please elaborate? If you have outlined it in another thread which I have missed, would you post a link? Which ever is easier.

Thank you,
    CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transitioning my Mexican Pinguicula plants back to wet conditions and growth I've found to be harder for them than when I was keeping them continuously wet.

I first tried to just pour the water on, then keep them continuously wet, again. I quickly learned that this was a fast way to undo their hard won perseverance. Many that initially received this treatment quickly rotted away. I soon adopted a gentler approach; now I first set their photo-period to 7/24, then I begin to spritz them lightly from the top, a little bit each day with purified water. After they've tolerated that, for a week or more, I then dust a little dried insect powder on the media, near the base of the plants. I also graduate them to a 40-60 ppm solution of soluble fertilizer (Peters 20-20-20 with trace minerals), spritzed lightly on the leaves and the media surface. Once they show signs of new leaf growth, I start flooding the trays, as is my usual growing method. Some are still lost during this adjustment process. Most of those plants that have survived, this far, quickly grow back out into adult plants.

I've lost so many more plants during my earlier attempts at duplicating a wet summer, dry winter theme, the climate swings that they get in their natural habitat. Once I developed the growing methods that have worked so well for me (and manage to maintain them), I hardly ever lose a plant. See --> How I grow Mexican/tropical Pinguicula.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast