Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P. medusina, dormancy question

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It died last year, unfortunately. So did the P. medusina. This is the best i could do with it:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    this year they have manage to keep going longer than usual. most of the time it come up end of summer to fall and sticks around for a few months and vanishes. This year it has persisted long enough for me to get additional plants started from the keikis that start on the leaf tips,
    Once they go dormant i drain the water tray and occasionally top water . then return to watering a fill the tray when the leaves return.

can you still see any part of the actual mother plant after they go dormant? or do they completely disappear from the pot into an onion shape?
    also, what is your soil mix that you are using for P. medusina? Do you keep them on a drier side? they look really really healthy and happy!

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    It died last year, unfortunately. So did the P. medusina. This is the best i could do with it:

your P. moctezumae died after flowering?? is this picture of a P. medusina seedling? were you able to save any of the plant?
    I definitely want to keep one species of the Mexican ping that has thin hair like leaves... I am torn between P. gypsicola, P. moctezumae, and P. medusina. Well, P. medusina is already on its way, but I was thinking maybe P. gypsicola is easier than P. medusina, or P. moctezumae

[Edit: The genus part (first part) of plant names is always capitalized, even when abbreviated. Correct spellings of plant names can be found at CP Database or CP Photo Finder.]
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, P. gypsicola is the easiest of the bunch!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the foliage above ground will vanish when it goes dormant. It does die back to a small bulb about the size of a tiny onion. it is probably some weeks off. But i can see that it hasn't made any new leaves in a while.

When it is actively growing i keep it very wet. Media is a mixture of sand (coarse) Aquatic Plant Soil (APS), and a little peat and vermiculite. Could probably go full on APS. Will test kitty litter next. cant get APS too easily here in Maui.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    all the foliage above ground will vanish when it goes dormant. It does die back to a small bulb about the size of a tiny onion. it is probably some weeks off. But i can see that it hasn't made any new leaves in a while.

When it is actively growing i keep it very wet. Media is a mixture of sand (coarse) Aquatic Plant Soil (APS), and a little peat and vermiculite. Could probably go full on APS. Will test kitty litter next. cant get APS too easily here in Maui.
    Ooo I see- they do disappear off the surface I wonder how one would know the difference between 'dead' and 'undead/dormant'? Do you dig into the soil to check? I usually toss when something dies off the pot.

I did a bit of search, and some peeps use some sort of rock made out of plaster mixture with peat and perlite and moss and put P. gypsicola that way; I've ordered some plaster and peat so I can make a special pot for the P. medusina, and P. gypsicola. I wonder if P. medusina would work in those plaster peat pots?

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Indeed, P. gypsicola is the easiest of the bunch!
    i think you are right about that one- P. moctezumae looks like its yellowing leaves- is this normal? Its currently in slightly moist sand/peat moss/perlite mixture but doesn't look like its happy. The person I got it from kept it in 100% peatmoss.

I also got some P. gypsicola- since I will have all three plants soon, I will keep growing whichever that ends up surviving under my growing condition.
    sooooo did you end up losing both P. moctezumae and P. medusina??
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - The plant names are actually spelled P. medusina and P. moctezumae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if you've had any experience growing Mexican Pinguicula. Are you able to maintain, bloom, and propagate any of the "easier" species or hybrids?

I would have to admit that there is often no natural progression of experience, from easy to difficult. Some growers only seem able to succeed with plants that most other growers consider impossible. I myself, have good confidence for growing a large variety of CP, but consistent success with some particular species continues to elude me.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I was wondering if you've had any experience growing Mexican Pinguicula. Are you able to maintain, bloom, and propagate any of the "easier" species or hybrids?

I would have to admit that there is often no natural progression of experience, from easy to difficult. Some growers only seem able to succeed with plants that most other growers consider impossible. I myself, have good confidence for growing a large variety of CP, but consistent success with some particular species continues to elude me.
    no, mot much for the Mexican species- well...I've had P. primuliflora, and kept it for 6+ months before I had gone away for three weeks(for work) and it had died from drying out(this was last year)- until then it was doing great. I've purchased another, along with few others this year to give it another try. If anything counts at all, I've kept multiple cultivars of African violet! for several years; I do leaf propagation time to time, but not often, due to growing space limitation. I've been quite successful at having it bloom constantly, and maintaining it that way.
    But I am doing extensive research and reading on how others have grown different species of Mexican pings(at least for the ones that interests me), and hoping to learn from them

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a P. medusina for a few months, maybe two or three. It almost never grew at all, and then died back to what I didn't consider a bulb at the time... It looked very rotten. I was very frustrated with how little success I had with such a healthy plant at first!

It kind of threw me off Mexican Pinguicula altogether for a while, now I'm thinking about getting some easier species, but I still plan on growing P. medusina in the future. I bet it would make excellent hybrids!

And nice plants kula ! Yours might be the best I've seen (without scouring photofinder).
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-31-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast