Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P. medusina, dormancy question

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

for me these filiform mexican species ( P. medusina- P. heterophylla - P. sp. tonala-- P. gypsicola - P. moctezumae) are difficult in cultivate .

have you try the temperate ( P. longifolia- P. valisneriifolia) more easy ?

for all the filiform mexican I use a mineral alcalin substrate and for P. gypsicola and P. medusina pure gypsum with river sand .

P. medusina- P. heterophylla - P. sp. tonala - P. gypsicola have need a dormancy in a dry substrate , P. moctezumae , if we see their 'in situ' ecology no, seems to me more near the summer ping temperate condition.

actually my P. heterophylla - P. medusina are in onion , my P. gypsicola in winter rosette - my P. moctezumae allways in leaves

P. gypsicola is the more easy of these filiform .

jeff
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-31-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sooooo did you end up losing both P. moctezumae and P. medusina
    ??

Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my plants are under 110W power compact light that a lot of Aquarist use to grow freshwater plants. They are 6700K and 5500K, and I have two of 55W lights under a separate reflector.

here is my community pot that contains various species of Mexican pings

my warm temperate pings(P. ionatha, P. plainfolia-all the one in the back, recovering from shipping shock, P. primuliflora, and P. lutea)

these are my African Violet leaf cuttings- they are similar to mexican pings in a way that they tend to crown rot easily if you over water them.

I joined this forum recently after months of lurking through various threads on topic- and I wanted to start it out the right way by avoiding a few obvious(to those of you) mistakes one(like me) can make.

I might ask things that might sound 'stupid' to all of you, but if I don't know something I will ask.

On the side note, I should've done more 'asking' before purchasing some of more difficult species(P. moctezumae, P. medusina, P. gypsicola).
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-31-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. medusina was the only mexican ping that survived in my initial attempt to grow the outdoors. The rest all slowly succumbed to too much light. Even in an area with partial shade most of the day they still had problems. Growing some seedlings of other mexicna pings outside under lexan is suggesting to me that my upper elevation , excessive UV light conditions maybe to blame. under leaxan they are growing just fine. P. medusina OTOH didn't seem to mind the conditions outside, but can see that the amount of full sun was giving them issues as the pups being produced on the leaves would never thrive. I have added more shade to their growing area and can see vast improvements. Hoping to be able to move some of the other species outside as well and tezt.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Before to grow Pinguicula , watching their growing conditions 'in situ ' herea world of pinguicula or for the temperate and others
    Pinguicula&Cie

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget, if you're looking for filiform Mexican/tropical American species, there are also Pinguicula filifolia and Pinguicula calderoniae. I think Pinguicula filifolia looks very similar to Drosera filiformis, when not in bloom.

And in the CP Photo Finder: Pinguicula calderoniae and Pinguicula filifolia.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-02-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wished I had asked this question before I went ahead with the P. medusina.... *regrets*..

I think P. gypsicola will be a good candidate to 'satisfy' my filiform fever--- if they are easier to grow than, say P. medusina or P. moctezumae...... BUT I do get a sense that no filiform types of Mexican Pinguicula are 'easy' especially for a beginner CP grower like myself.

I wanted to thank everyone for their patience(for asking a lot of silly + immature questions) and sharing their experience and growing tips on this interesting cultivar .
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-03-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - the second part of species names is never capitalized, always written in all lower case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Candice324,
    When I read your posts, my mental image is of someone who enjoys growing plants.

I've grown most of the known Mexican/tropical American species as well as the semi-tropical S.E. USA species and many other temperate species, as well as hybrids. I consider myself an avid plant lover. I also think you're brave to tackle these somewhat trickier species so early, though perhaps I would have more success with them if I'd begun trying them earlier, too.

kulamauiman has some of the best grown Pinguicula medusina I've ever seen. I'd go with his cultivation guidance for optimal results.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast