Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: P. medusina, dormancy question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P. medusina, dormancy question

Is it a must for P. medusina to go through dry dormancy to survive? If so, are they grown similar to how you'd keep cactus or succulents? I like the way the leaves look like hair strands, and was planning on getting one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice324 View Post
    Is it a must for P. medusina to go through dry dormancy to survive? If so, are they grown similar to how you'd keep cactus or succulents? I like the way the leaves look like hair strands, and was planning on getting one
    I haven't grown one, and after reading about them, I probably won't. Personally, I love the thin leaves too, but a dry winter dormancy is a must. The soil must apparently be kept bone-dry in which case the plant disappears underground as a bulb, similar to an onion.

I would personally get a P. moctezumae because that has thin leaves and is able to grow year round.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - plant names are binomial
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are the 2 most difficult species for me to keep alive for more than half a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had mine for a few years in a large violet pot. The grow on a rack in front of a window, low humidity. With morning sun a some sort of plant light with a four prong bulb I got a garage sale. They will for no apparent reason start to grow shorter leaves until they get to the little bulb stage. When they do that I drain the water in the bottom part of the pot and wait for them to start growing again, takes a month or two. They are not bone dry but I don't water them much if at all. They also often grow little plantlets at the tips fo the leaves. I make sure I propogate a few of them in case anything goes wrong. I have not gotten them to flower though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOooooo I see... thin leaves must have something to do with something that loves to be dry? This can be a good thing for me as I always forget to water them quote often- and die eventually!(just for houseplants).
    I already bought the P. medusina plants but I figured they might come in as a bulb instead of a plant!
    so maybe I shouldn't water them at all? maybe occasionally?

I did get P. moctezumae (a clump of small plants), and i keep them slightly moist. but I think P. medusina looks sorta scarier(in good way!) than P. moctezumae, and I hope I can keep them alive

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chezilla View Post
    I have had mine for a few years in a large violet pot. The grow on a rack in front of a window, low humidity. With morning sun a some sort of plant light with a four prong bulb I got a garage sale. They will for no apparent reason start to grow shorter leaves until they get to the little bulb stage. When they do that I drain the water in the bottom part of the pot and wait for them to start growing again, takes a month or two. They are not bone dry but I don't water them much if at all. They also often grow little plantlets at the tips fo the leaves. I make sure I propogate a few of them in case anything goes wrong. I have not gotten them to flower though.
    Do you have a picture of your P. medusina?? I wasnt able to find anyone who has kept this plant for several years, and would love to see how your plants look

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I haven't grown one, and after reading about them, I probably won't. Personally, I love the thin leaves too, but a dry winter dormancy is a must. The soil must apparently be kept bone-dry in which case the plant disappears underground as a bulb, similar to an onion.

I would personally get a P. moctezumae because that has thin leaves and is able to grow year round.
    are they more succulent than p. moctezumae? I have P. moctezumae, and their leaves are thin and flat. P. medusina looks like more rounded, and chubby, like a cactus

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Those are the 2 most difficult species for me to keep alive for more than half a year.

HHHMmmmmm,, have you ever kept a cactus or succulents? I do well with those after I realized that they don't need much watering. if I don't water the plant at all, it might do well, do you think? but cacti doesn't go through dormancy, and what if I mistakenly think the plant is dead when its not??

I really want to know how to properly take care of this plant- as I already bought one, and its on its way. I's assume that it will arrive as a onion bulb. what's the 2nd most difficult plant?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this year they have manage to keep going longer than usual. most of the time it come up end of summer to fall and sticks around for a few months and vanishes. This year it has persisted long enough for me to get additional plants started from the keikis that start on the leaf tips,

Mother plant starting to go dormant

plantlets started from the keikis from the leaf tips

Once they go dormant i drain the water tray and occasionally top water . then return to watering a fill the tray when the leaves return.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In better days:

P. moctezumae

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Jim, you got yours to flower, which is much more than mine did... haha... Mine expired in about 2 weeks. I think I'll try both of these though, since I nailed down the conditions to where i haven't lost a plant in over a year now. I find good air circulation and lots of light are key.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast