Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: my hypertufa set-up for my filiform Pinguicula

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my hypertufa set-up for my filiform Pinguicula

SO, last week I made hypertufa rocks out of plaster mixed with lots of perlite and peat(it was fun and messy) After trial and error, I finally got the consistency down to what I wanted, and even made a slot for the plants to be put in before plaster set. here is the result!
    P. moctezumae(I had them put in peat/perlite/sphagnum moss in a bowl initially, but it didn't seem to do well after few days of observing. So I potted them in one of hypertufa rocks with peat/sphagnum moss. They seem to like the plaster so far. I will definitely report back on how well they are doing in the next few months! I pour little bit of distilled water over the plant, and the water seems to be absorbed into plaster, and the rock seems to stay moist for 3-4 days without additional watering.
    *Before Potted up

*After potted up in hypertufa rocks

*P. medusina. It was initially nice green when it first arrived, but after few days under artificial light 24 hours, it got slightly pinkish and also dewy. There were lots of small onion-like bulbs at the tips, so I just placed them on top of the soil next to the plant. The mother plant doesn't seem like it has gone into winter-mode(yet). I am keeping the rock semi-moist, but mostly dry

That's it for now~!

will be back later to report on the progress!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-07-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa!!! Nice rocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!! That's my kinda project!

Does the large tufa mountain wick water up to the plants at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Whoa!!! Nice rocks.
    thanks Fury~ it took 5lbs of plaster to get that big one right! lol. also, the big rock is red because I mixed in a little bit of Iron Oxide (from Joseph Clemens tutorial on this thread).. Oh maybe the leaves became pinkish from that instead of the artificial light? Hmmmmm

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Awesome!!! That's my kinda project!

Does the large tufa mountain wick water up to the plants at all?
    Yeap, but it doesn't make the substrate really wet(maybe barely moist?). I can tell that whole rock is moist to the touch- water I placed into the bowl(that the rock is sitting in) is gone.
    But I also know that the plant is NOT sitting in water, although its moist... sorta confusing to explain!
    But something about moist rock, and P. medusina is nicely dewy right now. I hope it's happy(we will see!)- I am planning on putting the whole rock standing in water once weather comes around(its 35F outside now). Little onion bulbs is still nicely green(sitting on top of soil), and hasn't rotted yet!

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

OOooh, and my P. moctezumae is really dewy too; I could use a nice Macro SLR camera.. argh.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-07-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Candice, that is awesome!

Is the rock/plaster still semi-malleable? I am wondering if roots can grow into it.

Honestly, you have a very neat and creative set up! I am impressed and slightly jealous. I will definitely be incorporating something like this into my next project.

Please keep us updated on how the pings like it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice324 View Post
    thanks Fury~ it took 5lbs of plaster to get that big one right! lol. also, the big rock is red because I mixed in a little bit of Iron Oxide (from Joseph Clemens tutorial on this thread).. Oh maybe the leaves became pinkish from that instead of the artificial light? Hmmmmm
    Ah, excellent idea! If I had the space I would love to try something like that out. I too am curious as to how your plants' roots will do as they grow into the rock. Definitely keep us posted! That's a great setup you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap, but it doesn't make the substrate really wet(maybe barely moist?). I can tell that whole rock is moist to the touch- water I placed into the bowl(that the rock is sitting in) is gone.
    But I also know that the plant is NOT sitting in water, although its moist... sorta confusing to explain!
    Ah that's great just what I was hoping to hear!
    I have a 25 lb sack of plaster of paris that I make snail and crab calcium supplement wafers with but I won't use all 25 lbs for that in even the rest of my life so I might give your project a spin. Thanks for passing on this awesome idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    Candice, that is awesome!

Is the rock/plaster still semi-malleable? I am wondering if roots can grow into it.

Honestly, you have a very neat and creative set up! I am impressed and slightly jealous. I will definitely be incorporating something like this into my next project.

Please keep us updated on how the pings like it!
    lol, I wished I was that creative- I found a thread on a UK(?) carnivorous forum about some people using plaster mix rock to grow P. gypsicola.. so I figured, maybe I should plant my P. medusina (as it sounded hopeless for a newbie like me to grow anyway), so I potted it up on the rock.
    I actually 'molded' in the slot on my plaster rock when I was making it. But after plaster(plaster of Paris) cures(in 30min), it can be carved out easily using a butter knife. I don't know if the roots can grow into the rock, if they can grow into perlite, it probably will- I added lots of perlite into the mix, along with peat.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Ah, excellent idea! If I had the space I would love to try something like that out. I too am curious as to how your plants' roots will do as they grow into the rock. Definitely keep us posted! That's a great setup you have.
    surprisingly, I was able to fit over 20+ mini bulbs, mini plants, and mother plant of P. medusina, and 6 plants of P. moctezumae on two different rock in sizes 6" in diameter(but taller) and 3"x4" rock, respectively. But since you have a control over how big and how it will be shaped, I am sure you can try with whatever space you have to spare.

These rocks are made today- one is in 2.5" pot
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-07-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - the second part of plant names is always written in lower case

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast