SO, last week I made hypertufa rocks out of plaster mixed with lots of perlite and peat(it was fun and messy) After trial and error, I finally got the consistency down to what I wanted, and even made a slot for the plants to be put in before plaster set. here is the result!
P. moctezumae(I had them put in peat/perlite/sphagnum moss in a bowl initially, but it didn't seem to do well after few days of observing. So I potted them in one of hypertufa rocks with peat/sphagnum moss. They seem to like the plaster so far. I will definitely report back on how well they are doing in the next few months! I pour little bit of distilled water over the plant, and the water seems to be absorbed into plaster, and the rock seems to stay moist for 3-4 days without additional watering.
*Before Potted up
*After potted up in hypertufa rocks
*P. medusina. It was initially nice green when it first arrived, but after few days under artificial light 24 hours, it got slightly pinkish and also dewy. There were lots of small onion-like bulbs at the tips, so I just placed them on top of the soil next to the plant. The mother plant doesn't seem like it has gone into winter-mode(yet). I am keeping the rock semi-moist, but mostly dry
That's it for now~!
will be back later to report on the progress!