What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping Food

Ok I know this is a bit an odd post / LOL
But I'm bored & just thought I'd share
Might actually be very helpful to people who grow Pings indoors

I collect pill/saw bugs out of my compost pile to feed to my Neps & noticed that they don't live for very long if not in moist soil & that they dry out quickly
If you put them in an empty container & leave them out in the sun by the next day they're all dry & brittle & can be easily crushed in to a fine powder
I crush them & sprinkle them on my Pings & it seems to keep them Happy

If it didn't take so many to get a good amount of Dried Pill Bug Powder
I'd package it up & would be selling it on eBay as Ping Food
LOL

DC

Since pill bugs are actually crusteaceans, their shells are high in calcium, so perhaps pings like the calcium since many grow in soils high in the stuff?

Good point, I never ever thought about that

I have a separate compost container that I add all of my egg shells to, to use on my pepper plants as they also like high calcium levels

All I know is if you sprinkle the stuff on them they "Salivate"
As in the next morning they'll be all covered in goo
&
Like I said it keeps them {mine} Happy
My Pings grow like crazy

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

You just blew my freaking mind

Yep, They Sure Are...

"The pill bug is the only crustacean that can spend its entire life on land. Their shells look like armor and they are known for their ability to roll into a ball. Sometimes children call them rollie-pollies. Most pill bugs live for up to two years. They are most active at night."

http://www.pestworldforkids.org/pillbugs.html

Kudos to your creativity!

My freeze dried freshwater shrimp are the same idea. The shell is really high in calcium and they have a good amount of protein. Gotta build the muscles in those pings :)

Since I raise mealworms for my lizards, I have thought about crushing up dead mealworm beetles to put onto ping and sundew leaves. I was not sure that it would help at all since all the yummy soft inside goodies have dried out.
Maybe I have to put some on and see if it would help.... I'll have to wait a while to get some dead beetles.... I'm not digging through the trash since I just cleaned out the containers.

I do sometimes dig through my cultures and find tiny mealworms to place on the leaves.

Since I raise mealworms for my lizards, I have thought about crushing up dead mealworm beetles to put onto ping and sundew leaves. I was not sure that it would help at all since all the yummy soft inside goodies have dried out.
Maybe I have to put some on and see if it would help.... I'll have to wait a while to get some dead beetles.... I'm not digging through the trash since I just cleaned out the containers.

I do sometimes dig through my cultures and find tiny mealworms to place on the leaves.

I do that too
I started doing it with left over bug parts I had from some of my art projects

Figured the bug dust/crumbles were better than trying to drop bugs or bug parts on them

It seems {at least to me} to be a great source of food for them

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

My freeze dried freshwater shrimp are the same idea. The shell is really high in calcium and they have a good amount of protein. Gotta build the muscles in those pings :)

The calcium thing never really crossed my mind
Just thought it was a cool food source

I add crushed cuttlefish bone (Like what they sell for birds) to my peat sand mix for my Pings

{Homer Simpson voice activated}:

"Mmmmmm, crusteaceans!"

Back