What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping NOID laid to rest!

I GOT IT!! It's all coming back to me now..

Say hello to P. laueana x emarginata. Just needs some color in the upcoming months and we'll be all set.

100_7230.jpg

100_7229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdja get a flower?

It's been a flowering fool for me.. it even flowered during dormancy!

100_6815.jpg

LOL! In the words of Daffy Duck (to Bugs Bunny): "You're despicable!"

lol... :blush: Thanks.. I guess.

Just jealous...

With this particular ping I have found it to be similar to Pinguicula laueana in that it likes cooler temperatures in order to trigger flowering. Others may have had a different observation, but that is what I am seeing.

Nice job, Mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
With this particular ping I have found it to be similar to Pinguicula laueana in that it likes cooler temperatures in order to trigger flowering. Others may have had a different observation, but that is what I am seeing.

Nice job, Mass.

How cold? All my Mexican pings sat on a window sill for the winter. I'd say temps got as low as 60. Not cold enough?

I agree with Baylorguy, I've had much better flowering of the Mexican Pinguicula, especially Pinguicula laueana and (P. laueana x emarginata) when I had humid and cool 45-50F air gently blowing on them through the Winter nights.

The only problem I had with that scenario was the fluorescent lights began having trouble starting up (they were too cold), so I had to switch them to start later in the day (when it was a little warmer), and stay on a little longer into the night.

P_laueana_CP2_x_emarginata_A.jpg

One thing I especially noticed about this particular Pinguicula, was how difficult it is to capture the flower with digital photography. How the flower appears in this photo, is not how it looks in real life. In reality it seems a dark velvety, purple color and texture, but the camera doesn't seem to be able to capture this.

Last edited:
How cold? All my Mexican pings sat on a window sill for the winter. I'd say temps got as low as 60. Not cold enough?

Hmmm... not sure, Jim. My temperatures were right around 60, if not within +- 3 degrees. Perhaps it is another environmental factor? I feed mine like crazy. What is the feeding schedule for yours? Also, like Joseph I grow mine wet year round.

One thing I especially noticed about this particular Pinguicula, was how difficult it is to capture the flower with digital photography. How the flower appears in this photo, is not how it looks in real life. In reality it seems a dark velvety, purple color and texture, but the camera doesn't seem to be able to capture this.

So far P. laueana x emarginata has my favorite flower. It's very unique and has a beautiful pattern to it.

Phil

From Thanksgiving Day to Valentine's Day I stop watering them completely.. and let them go bone dry. They get daytime temps as high as 65*F and night lows as cold as 40*F. It flowered once around New Year's during it's dormancy.
Now it is getting 80*F day and night temps and is kept constantly damp. Normally I let my pings dry out in between waterings, but this particular one hasn't been repotted and is still in straight peat. Which we all know, holds onto moisture like there's no tomorrow. So yeah, it has flowered yet again as it's coming out of dormancy in these conditions.

Back