What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula looking happy in Kula

Pinguicula cyclosecta

DSC_00410018.jpg

Last edited:
OOooo.. They DO indeed look great! :-O

:drool:

Maybe I will stick with pings for a little while longer before giving up...

Very nice! Pinguicula cyclosecta is the only Pinguicula I've managed to kill...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kula, beautiful Pinguicula cyclosecta.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job, growing and blooming.

How did you get those puppies to flower? I can do no better than this:

Picture024-2.jpg

How did you get those puppies to flower? I can do no better than this:

Picture024-2.jpg

Dunno. ??? I have it inside and under lights. It has bloomed for me every year about this time from the time i initially got them as leaves from KT. Warm humid and wet. Keeping them in the old killifish 10 gallon tanks with two 2 bulb shop lights. Temp is fairly constant. Room is affected by light outside so maybe the lights are on and off such that the small amount of light entering will affect a change in the photo period?

My whole Mexican ping collections spent its growing season on the grow rack, under lights, next to a south-facing set of glass windows. For the winter I moved them to window sills to draw the cold and still pick up the lower photoperiod cues of the window sill light and almost bone-dry APS. Some plants, consequently, displayed "winter leaves". About 6 types have graced me with flowers this past month. I was hoping for more.

After 3-4 years I've yet to get flowers. I put them outdoors in Jan in hopes the cold weather might stimulate them. All they've done so far is progress even further into the winter leaf mode. Temperatures have dipped into the high 30sF at night.

very nice looking ping :)

My whole Mexican ping collections spent its growing season on the grow rack, under lights, next to a south-facing set of glass windows. For the winter I moved them to window sills to draw the cold and still pick up the lower photoperiod cues of the window sill light and almost bone-dry APS. Some plants, consequently, displayed "winter leaves". About 6 types have graced me with flowers this past month. I was hoping for more.

Aloha Jim,
if they are photo period sensitive even the smallest amount of light at the wrong time can mess them up. For poinsettia all you needed was 30 mins of light sometime in the night to interrupt the night and poof no flowers. Maybe something similar is happening for you and NaN?

The other problem is are they short day triggered or respond to the days getting longer.....

That could be. It never gets truly dark for a Mainland city boy. There is a darker corner I could move the P. cyclosecta to though.

Being indoors, they are always subject to intermittent extraneous light going and off. I may put them outside again, but this time in Sterilite containers, that have holes along the perimeter, starting from one inch above the bottom. I've had too many bad experiences with plants being under water and scattered and "blackening crown".

wide shots

DSC_00020001_4.jpg

DSC_00030002_1.jpg

DSC_00180012.jpg

P. laueana x emarginata
DSC_00090006_1.jpg

DSC_00120007.jpg

P. agnata x moranensis
DSC_00150009.jpg

DSC_00130008_1.jpg

P. 'Weser'
DSC_00080005_2.jpg

DSC_00070004_3.jpg

P. 'Sethos'
DSC_00040003_2.jpg

P. 'Florian'
DSC_00160010.jpg

P. ehlersiae
DSC_00190013_1.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous!

Is there anything you *can't* grow into amazing? :p

I love the wide shots of the pings, to see all the variation is nothing short of incredible for me :love:

Is there anything you *can't* grow into amazing? :p

I love the wide shots of the pings, to see all the variation is nothing short of incredible for me :love:

VFTs actually still give me headaches.....

thanks for all the kind words everyone

seedlings of a P. moctoxumae x gigantea hybrid

DSC_05830005.jpg

P. cyclosecta outside showing development of dormancy

A few weeks back
DSC_01690001.jpg

Today
DSC_05850006.jpg

Last edited:
Jeese, you live in the perfect environment for cps.

Back