User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeah! Finally!!! Pinguicula caerulea flowering, need pollinating advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah! Finally!!! Pinguicula caerulea flowering, need pollinating advice.

Hello friends,

I've got two genetically different Pinguicula caerulea plants. Both are flowering with two flowers on each at the moment. They have not opened, but I want to be SURE and cross-pollinate them correctly so I can get seed to share.

There are not many NA pings in cultivation, so I believe this (4 flowers, maybe more) worth of seed, and the resulting plants it will give me, will put some more in circulation.

Too bad my other P. lutea died...I have one flowering ATM but can't do anything with it...at least this is what I think.

So please, any links or suggestions on pollinating this species?

BTW: if anybody wants to trade a P. planifolia, I have one of those but the second died I am so mad at myself because it really shouldn't have.
    Last edited by SDCPs; 03-14-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Fixing my mispelling. Thanks J. C.!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    congrats! post #3 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94784
    good luck,
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry too much when you suddenly lose any of these S.E. U.S.A. Pinguicula species, most of us do. I maintained colonies of most for several years at a time, only to suddenly lose most or all of them for no obvious reason. I've seen them in the wild, growing in conditions I would never expect to find them, and in conditions that would certainly kill them if I exposed them to those conditions in cultivation.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-15-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck SD
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruella Deville?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    So, what is Pinguicula cruela? It's not a species I recognize.

Do you mean, Pinguicula caerulea?

o o o o o o o o o
    Don't worry too much when you suddenly lose any of these S.E. U.S.A. Pinguicula species, most of us do. I maintained colonies of most for several years at a time, only to suddenly lose most or all of them for no obvious reason. I've seen them in the wild, growing in conditions I would never expect to find them, and in conditions that would certainly kill them if I exposed them to those conditions in cultivation.
    You are very right. That is what I meant! Thank you for correcting me

Also, thanks for the encouragement. The P. lutea I lost could be attributed to circumstances, but the P. planifolia is utterly unreconcilable. I mean it. I was just too lazy to make an effort to buy LFSM and plant the thing...it sort of dried out in temporary storage. LOL, the second P. planifolia recovered from a swarm of slugs! I like that plant very much, and wish I could get ahold of another. My weather is perfect you know

Quote Originally Posted by flytraplady5 View Post
    Good Luck SD
    Thank you for most of the plants! I'm sorry I was such a poor planifolia caretaker. (BTW, my D. madagascarensis are recovering! x2!!! Root cuttings sure helped to give me a few now.)

For all of you: my strategy (not a very good one I know) is to plant many of the same thing in different locations and soil conditions outside. The justification of this is 1) it lets me know what conditions the plants like relatively soon, 2) it ensures survival of something at least

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Cruella Deville?

Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    congrats! post #3 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94784
    good luck,
    Andrew
    Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Am I understanding this correctly?

1) tear off all the petals; carefully avoiding tearing reproductive parts off too.
    2) use black-tipped toothpick to receive pollen, stick back.

That's as far as I'm thinking right now. I will more into it later when I have more time and when they are flowering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also possible to self-pollinate all of the S.E. U.S.A. Pinguicula species, just difficult to have success with some, others are easy. Timing is very crucial to those that are more discriminating.

Seed germinates easily when fresh, but quickly loses viability.

Tear off all corolla lobes/petals, except the top two, keep these for a handle. Then lift the stigma flap (very carefully - it is connected to the ovary by a fragile stalk), and lift some pollen from this area with a darkened toothpick, then release the stigma flap and deposit the pollen on the upper surface of the stigma flap.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    It is also possible to self-pollinate all of the S.E. U.S.A. Pinguicula species, just difficult to have success with some, others are easy. Timing is very crucial to those that are more discriminating.

Seed germinates easily when fresh, but quickly loses viability.

Tear off all corolla lobes/petals, except the top two, keep these for a handle. Then lift the stigma flap (very carefully - it is connected to the ovary by a fragile stalk), and lift some pollen from this area with a darkened toothpick, then release the stigma flap and deposit the pollen on the upper surface of the stigma flap.
    About the corolla:

Would removing that membrane (corolla) that houses the reproductive organs be harmful to the plant? As in, am I supposed to get some of that off to expose the parts too? Would cutting the back off a flower work? The pollen and stygma are back there, right?

I'll use my P. lutea flowers for information right now
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-15-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: N. A.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast