What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I have two Pinguicula and was told their name is Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'. Now I have been looking all over to see how to take care of them and all I've been getting are brief descriptions but nothing more and since I know almost nothing about CPs I'm kinda wanting more. :p So do these lovely, little things have a scientific name that I can use to get more care info? (or better yet you want to give me some ;) )
This is pretty much what I have now:

Butterwort (Pinguicula) - Temperate Varieties
•Keep soil damp at all times. Leave pots in a shallow tray or saucer of water.
•Use rain water, distilled water, or tap water with low mineral content (like Hetch Hetchy water in the SF Bay Area.) If you use bottled water, make sure that it has NO sodium added.
•DO NOT fertilize your butterworts with traditional fertilizers. Butterworts get their nutrients from the sun and insects, and their root systems are very sensitive to fertilizers.
•Grow your butterwort in partly-sunny conditions. They can be grown outside in most climates, on a sunny windowsill, or under fluorescent lights.
•Butterworts are perennials. They flower and grow in spring and summer, and will slow-down or stop growing in winter.
•Transplant every few years in a mix of 50% peat moss and 50% sand or perlite. This is best done during winter. Make sure there is no fertilizer in the soil you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know a whole lot about Pinguicula, but Pinguicula 'John Rizzi' is either a hybrid cultivar or a species lacking formal identification/description so far as I know. I'm pretty sure that the common wisdom is that it's closely related to P. moranensis, which would place it in the Mexican tropical/sub-tropical family, so temperate care isn't quite appropriate. I'm sure Joseph Clemens or some of the other more experienced Pinguicula growers will chime in with more details though.
~Joe

"This butterwort is known for its unusually large, deep pink flowers. Pinguicula 'John Rizzi' is a hybrid of unknown parentage, and was named by Peter D'Amato."
This quote is from another site but i found many like it in reference to Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'.
I checked The Savage Garden The pod parent was P. moranensis and the pollination took place among the Mexican Pinguicula growing section.
Hope this helps narrow down your search. From the images I found online the flower is very pretty.

From Keehns Carnivores: "Another collectors special, as introduced in Peter D’Amato’s "The Savage Garden" we are happy to offer true clones of Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'. These are a very hardy P. moranensis hybrid with distinctly large marginless leaves and exceptionally large dark pink blossoms. "

Basically grow it like Mexican Pinguicula, or specifically P. moranensis.

The Carnivorous Plant Database is always a good place to start your searches:
http://omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

A search on "John Rizzi" yields:
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi?name=john+rizzi

Another place to check is the ICPS website's listings of carnivorous plant cultivars:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/names.php

Finally much useful information concerning Pinguicula can be found at:

www.pinguicula.org

Note: since this is a recognized and registered cultivar its status as such should be noted by the use of single quotes or apostrophes around the cultivar name, e.g. Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

I would actually err more on the dry side, relative to most other CP's. Good lighting produces pinkish purple leaves. Below is a flower from this winter:

100_9559.jpg

suite

it is not a temperate ping, but a horticol hybrid cultivar from mexican ping .

very very slight description in fact :blush:

use if you have ,alkalin substrat , more appropriate and more close than the 'in situ' condition to mexican ping.

in mexico you have 2 great season ( average temperature )
a dry season, november to may with 10-21°c , it is normaly their dormancy period
a raining season , june to october with 21-27°c and more

in the raining period here in europe we can put these mexican out door , you can watering all the 15 days or all the month by capillarity
for me not in full sun but in shade or just in morning sun .

except some particular species with a peren red leave , with more UV the vegetal cells ( by the antocyanin and the caroten ) react with this red colour .

NB: for the temperate ping the acid substrat is not the most common ' in situ'

jeff

Last edited:
Thanks all! One of mine has a flower and it is a shade lighter and the other has a bloom about to open(hopefully) they rather quaint. I'll start checking out those sites and looking at Pinguicula moranensis more closely. :)

One of the features about the Photofinder that I love is that you can mouse over a link and a thumbnail picture pops up.

Back