What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! :(

Ok so I bought a pinguicula primuliflora online and I just got it shipped to me today. When I unpacked it, it looked fine but when I got home (6 hours later) it looked like this:

23wrzar.jpg

To me, it looks like it is wilting but I watered it before I left and potted it. I am completely new to pinguicula and I was just wondering if this happens to all pinguiculas after they are shipped. Help??! :(

Note: I was using distilled water and the standard cp soil mix. Under the same light and conditions as all my other plants.

Humidity! Try to put a bag around the pot or a clear cup over the plant. It won't change back to normal, but it'll start bringing out some growth.

So my type of pinguicula needs lots of humidity? I always heard that CP's with those "domes of death" around them die :/

Well this happened to my ping that came from one of those domes. I put the humidity dome back on and gradually took it off, it got more acclimated to lower humidity. Humidity is the only thing that I know of that can make a plant look really bad in only a matter of hours... Other than scissors or a chainsaw.

The plants sold at Lowes are fairly fresh out of tissue culture, and when grown in a high humidity environment, there is very little cuticular wax produced on the leaves, since none is needed under these circumstances. There are other processes required for acclimation, but wax is one of the main ones, and it can take several weeks before the leaves will produce enough cuticular wax to be able to grow under normal humidity.

IMO the "death cube" is overdone...when growing indoors under lights, at least. a friend of mine left his D. adelae in the cube and it grew extremely well for a year until it was so filled with leaves that they started crowding out the cube!

But yeah, follow Halt's advice and it should come back for you.

suite

like P.planifolia and P.ionantha , P.primuliflora have need very wet conditions( like the temperate) , also in spring 'in situ' often they are immersed.

may be also a substrat less acid and more mineral , I use for these 3 species blond peat 30% and 70% river sand .

these very wet condition , are not for the 3 others subtropical US ( pumila-lutea-caerulea ) and for the mexican and cuban species.

jeff

Back