Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Mexican Ping Dripping Wall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did Joseph Clemens go? I need his input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how to help you, but I love the idea and can't wait to see what comes of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by i<3carnivores View Post
    I have no idea how to help you, but I love the idea and can't wait to see what comes of it!
    It seem like nobody else really does either. I guess I'm basically on my own--well, I hope to get Jeff's "secret" p. gigantea soil recipe to use in my project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    It seem like nobody else really does either. I guess I'm basically on my own
    I think, you finally got it!

BTW: For me, the name of the so called "dripping wall" by Jurg Steiger is very much misleading. Those things he used for a short time are indeed more small greenhouses with some unusual dimensions. Don't always look on the photos of those greenhouses with opened doors, look on this photo:
    http://www.pinguicula.org/images/cul...walls1(HR).jpg

Those things were closed compartments, equipped with heating, cooling and watering equipment. I'd better call them "temperature-controlled mini-greenhouse" instead of "dripping wall". Or perhaps "closed compartment with a dripping wall construction in it, that can be opened when the weather conditions are adequate or that can be heated or cooled otherwise". Some of the compartments were open longer than others, but all of them were closed and temperature-controlled during significant time of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesse, you're right in both regards! Mr. Steiger's contraptions seem to be very advanced for growing difficult pings. Yes, mine will be nothing like that.

I have decided to make a miniwall before making one large enough to fill the area I have discussed. I will use rockwool and will make media pockets in it as per the plan. For the media I will use something between these two recipes:

for the substrat:
    cat litier 50 % ( no parfumed) or calcareous loam
    river sand 12.5%
    pouzzolane 12.5 %
    vermiculite or perlite 12.5%
    calcareous sand 12.5%
    2 perlite
    2 vermiculite
    1 small sand (for aquarium), 1 fine white sand
    1 pouzzolane (volcanic lava)
    1 aqualit (expansed ceramic for aquarium). The aqualit can be replaced by 1 of pouzzolane.
    So...maybe:

Cat litter-4-5 parts
    Silica Sand-1 part
    Vemiculite- 1 part
    Perlite- 2 parts
    Decomposing Granite- 1 part
    Lava rock- 2-3 rocks per pocket.

Suggestions?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

The only problem with that mix I'm considerin is it might hold too much water. I originally wanted the wall to be watered automatically. Maybe I should lower the concentration of cat litter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we're building as I type!!! Time to get the media ready. I may post pictures when we're a little farther on. Pretty good progress though...except I still don't have a pump . Anybody with a spare pump that can pump water 4.5 feet above itself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here it is in action. Just today a friend and I constructed the main portion of the wall. Enjoy! Feel free to replicate!:

The holes for the media:

From the front:

Easy to cut holes in it! But it's itchy like fiberglass...not as bad, however.

The plywood (I know...but plexiglass costs too much! I already spent close to $100 on this. At least we stained it.)

And covered it with plastic (friend in pic)

Starting to look sortof proper:

Yes, the ping media!:

So far, looking good! The aluminum, although pricey, certainly helps

This is my 3ft by 1ft miniwall. Holds up to 6 clones of p. gigantea. I just need to aquire more clones now...and a pump. If anybody has one, please consider me

Suggestions welcome. Not finished, however. We still need to add the water reservior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. moranensis would be another great choice for this wall. Excellent to see progress on this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast